What is diving southeastern Florida like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't do it as a liveaboard, but I was on board for two Vandenburg dives. I liked the layout, the crew was fabulous, it's GREAT for diving from, and I really liked the meal I had. Yes, I would book on the Spree.

I'd been diving a real long time before I ever did the Creature Feature, and I have to say that it was just about the most fun I'd ever had underwater. Be sure to take a camera with lots of battery juice and SD card space!!!!

I traveled to Boynton Beach Florida twice this past dive season. I found the diving there to be excellent, in my opinion. It suited me just fine. Very short boat ride, excellent dive boats, captains, and crew, 80 feet of blue water only 2 miles offshore, mountainous reefs, lots of sealife.

Was wondering about the diving in Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale, and Miami.

Descriptions and comments appreciated.

Try www.sfdj.com .... It is all about diving in South Florida..what it looks like, how to find the perfect dive for you...dive resorts to stay at, good boats to use, etc. I don't think you will find it like any other magazine. It is not quite finished yet--this is the re-introduction of what was the first dive magazine on the Internet ( 1993), but the first new issue since 2002 is still going to be very helpful to a diver with your interests.

Thanks everyone for the posts on this thread. I'm hoping to get down to the West Palm area this winter with some friends and it's great to have all the info. My copy of DeLoach's book is god knows how old :p.

Thanks everyone for the posts on this thread. I'm hoping to get down to the West Palm area this winter with some friends and it's great to have all the info. My copy of DeLoach's book is god knows how old :p.

The reefs and wrecks have not moved much. :wink:

If you go to Slates make sure you do the Creature Feature. Check it out on his site. It is even better then that. Debby with a "Y" recommend it to me and was right on the money when she said it was one of the best dives she ever did. You will get to see nurse sharks, cuda, and goliath groupers being feed by hand. You will get to pet/hold the nurse sharks and see them feeding inches from you face. It is safe and awesome. Simply listen to the instructions and enjoy. Slate is very cool and sometime larger than life.

I am pretty sure those are illegal activities in Florida waters. Does this operator conduct these activities in Federal or state water?

He's been doing this for 30 years, very publicly, I'm sure that all of the Keys marine officers are quite aware of it. It's near the Benwood Wreck, I'll let you research if it's Florida or Federal. It's certainly a real good time.

To my knowledge state water only runs out three miles. But I don't know how it works in Florida. What I do know is I learned more about sharks on this two tank dive then anywhere else. I also know that everyone on this boat was respectful of the fish and we did not have one problem. I also know that I saw Slate treat these fish better then a lot of adults have treated their children. And I have seen a lot of problem childs because of their parents. An example of his caring for the animals, he has removed fishing hooks from the mouths of sharks as well groupers. Take it for what is worth.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom