Prop injury - Day 1 of Florida's Mini Lobster Season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And you're only allowed six per day? Hardly seems worth the hassle and risk.

I thought it was double that? Isn't it 12 per day during mini season? Honestly, I have no clue. I'm not a hunter so I pay very little attention to bag limits and sizes. Heck, I don't even like lobster! On a trip to Maine, I forced myself to get a ridiculously over-priced lobster roll. Meh. I don't get the fascination with the bugs.

Once you do it , you may change your opinion.
The running of the bulls in Pamplona come to mind as a similar event, with more hype than reality.

For the mini season only a yahoo or 3 get hurt, out of how many? I don't know the numbers, but they are huge! That only a couple get hurt seems low to me.
And look behind the numbers, so far what I've read was medical events. The propeller thing that isn't a dive issue but a boating issue.

Granted, would I go on a charter with other people? Nope, but I don't do that on a regular weekend. When you treat it like any other day of lobstering (or spearfishing for that matter) it becomes a great tradition.
In a day or 2 we will read the report from @Johnoly and I for one will be jealous, because instead of being out there I'm recovering from a dental nightmare of a procedure.
All my neighbors went out and many of the locals also went with either boats that only takes locals or friend's boats that have a routine established.
It isn't difficult to stay away from the once a year diver that comes to town just for mini-season.

Then again it is a good idea to stay away from S.Florida not just the last week of July, just stay away the place is full.

We made the mistake of heading down through the keys in 2019 during mini season... I was trying to figure out why there was sooooooo many boats all over the place. Never have I ever seen more dive flags. I honestly just didn't know.. traffic was backed up for miles at a crawl. Lesson learned.

I do love a good lobster though.. not crazy about the play toys you Southerners catch. No claws? Where's the fun in that?:) and you get to use a stick? Come on, lol. Maybe I just haven't eaten the right one?

I thought it was double that? Isn't it 12 per day during mini season? Honestly, I have no clue. I'm not a hunter so I pay very little attention to bag limits and sizes. Heck, I don't even like lobster! On a trip to Maine, I forced myself to get a ridiculously over-priced lobster roll. Meh. I don't get the fascination with the bugs.

Lobster is simply a vehicle for butter.

I thought it was double that? Isn't it 12 per day during mini season?
Season: July 27-28, 2022 (last consecutive Wednesday and Thursday of July each year)

Daily Bag Limit: 6 per person for Monroe County and Biscayne National Park; 12 per person for rest of Florida

Possession limit on the water: equal to the daily bag limit

Possession limit off the water: equal to the daily bag limit on the first day and double the daily bag limit on the second day

Possession limits are enforced on and off the water.

Minimum Size Limit: Carapace must be larger than 3", measured in the water. Possession and use of a measuring device required at all times. Find out how to measure a spiny lobster.

Night Diving: Prohibited in Monroe County (ONLY during sport season) Diving is defined as swimming at or below the surface of the water.

Harvest of lobster is prohibited in John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park during the sport season and in Everglades National Park, Dry Tortugas National Park, no-take areas in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary, in the Biscayne Bay/Card Sound Lobster Sanctuary, and in the five Coral Reef Protection Areas in Biscayne National Park during both the 2-day sport season and regular season.

..12 per person for rest of Florida
Other areas are 12 per person per day.
Isn't it 12 per day during mini season?

Except any Lionfish Challenge entrants who turn in 25 lionfish tails and they send you the FWC LF Coin.
We get to go OVER the Limit each day of mini-season as a thankyou for cleaning up the reefs.
This is my "Get Out of Jail" coin

20220728_182737.jpg

Except any Lionfish Challenge entrants who turn in 25 lionfish tails and they send you the FWC LF Coin.
We get to go OVER the Limit each day of mini-season as a thankyou for cleaning up the reefs.
This is my "Get Out of Jail" coin

View attachment 735517

So what's your limit? That's awesome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom