Prop injury - Day 1 of Florida's Mini Lobster Season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Plus two deaths thus far, in the lower Keys.
Didn't see those when I checked the news just now. Got news stories? Post new threads.

Once you do it , you may change your opinion.
The running of the bulls in Pamplona come to mind as a similar event, with more hype than reality.

For the mini season only a yahoo or 3 get hurt, out of how many? I don't know the numbers, but they are huge! That only a couple get hurt seems low to me.
And look behind the numbers, so far what I've read was medical events. The propeller thing that isn't a dive issue but a boating issue.

Granted, would I go on a charter with other people? Nope, but I don't do that on a regular weekend. When you treat it like any other day of lobstering (or spearfishing for that matter) it becomes a great tradition.
In a day or 2 we will read the report from @Johnoly and I for one will be jealous, because instead of being out there I'm recovering from a dental nightmare of a procedure.
All my neighbors went out and many of the locals also went with either boats that only takes locals or friend's boats that have a routine established.
It isn't difficult to stay away from the once a year diver that comes to town just for mini-season.

Then again it is a good idea to stay away from S.Florida not just the last week of July, just stay away the place is full.
Good plan. Unless you are a rabid lobster hunter, you don't want to go ANYWHERE NEAR the water during the 2 days of mini season. I put it on my calendar every year for the purpose of making sure I'm NOT anywhere near a marina or beach in areas where there is good lobster hunting.
Yup. We went to the bridge today hoping that most everyone else would be in the Keys looking for lobster. Nope…others had the same idea

I agree. I can only imagine what our reefs look like after mini-season.

Ok, that story does not mention divers. Maybe, maybe not.
That was my interpretation ... Looked to me they were medical issues that happened during mini season.

For a group that loves to say diving is such a social activity, seems a contradiction to put down this event.
I read the reports from the 1st and 2nd day from @Johnoly ... If you were to change the date it isn't easy to spot that any of the 2 outings was during mini-season . Maybe the part about his lionfish coin, but other than that, it was a set of great dives in the middle of the week.

Sometimes it seems like it is the "thing" to dislike and look down to.

I can only imagine what our reefs look like after mini-season.
I get similar thoughts when I hear about the Blue Heron Bridge. When the tides are convenient during the weekends. Week after week after week.

Sometimes it seems like it is the "thing" to dislike and look down to.
It was so rough on Weds that we had un-bungied tanks doing floor dives. But after the 2nd dive, everyone on the boat was giving diver's High-Fives, and taking Selfie's with the lobster they just caught and sharing it on social media from 3 miles out at sea. One guy had his boss call him on the boat just to tell him he wanted a lobster tail tomorrow or he was fired for calling off !!.

There are people who hate Christmas, winning the lotto, and 4th of July...... I never see pictures of them on a dive boat.

It was so rough on Weds that we had un-bungied tanks doing floor dives. But after the 2nd dive, everyone on the boat was giving diver's High-Fives, and taking Selfie's with the lobster they just caught and sharing it on social media from 3 miles out at sea. One guy had his boss call him on the boat just to tell him he wanted a lobster tail tomorrow or he was fired for calling off !!.

There are people who hate Christmas, winning the lotto, and 4th of July...... I never see pictures of them on a dive boat.
Uh?

friend of mine is doing it as a free-diver and said they get towed behind a boat and once they are over a wreck, they dive. That just does not seem like a good idea. Guess what else is at the back end of a boat.
Its called tow-boarding and it can be a lot of fun. Usually the line is long enough so the props aren't an issue, when you let go you hot drop.

Its called tow-boarding and it can be a lot of fun. Usually the line is long enough so the props aren't an issue, when you let go you hot drop.
Not what I pictured but that makes a whole lot more sense. I pictured people hanging off the swim deck.

Sounds kind of cool, actually.

Back
Top Bottom