Prop injury - Day 1 of Florida's Mini Lobster Season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
The two-day headstart lobster season there usually yields several incidents.

FORT LAUDERDALE, FLA. (WSVN) - The two-day lobster mini season already got off to a dangerous start when a person diving for lobsters in Biscayne Bay got cut by a propeller.

7SkyForce hovered above the scene as the crew of Miami-Dade Fire Boat 73 rendered aid to the victim, Wednesday afternoon.

Officials said the victim suffered a leg injury. Paramedics used a tourniquet to help slow the bleeding and transported the victim to No Name Harbor Marina. From there, the victim was airlifted to an area hospital for treatment.

The incident took place on the first day of the mini season.

Earlier on Wednesday, a 7News crew went out with Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue to see how they keep people safe on the water.

For paramedics, more boats mean more divers, and that can lead to incidents like Wednesday’s injured diver.

“Because there’s so many people trying to go out in such a short period of time. People are willing to risk it a little bit more because they feel their window of opportunity is closing,” said FLFR Battalion Chief Stephen Gollan.

The waters were rough on Wednesday. The three- to five-foot waves made for a rocky ride, drawing concern among first responders.

“One of the concerning things is, historically, over this two-day season, we’ve seen fatalities in years past,” said Gollan. “We have our boats out here to make sure everyone is as safe as possible, but we need those that are going out to do their part.”

Gollan said there’s a lot of people willing to take considerable risks to get their hands on this seafood delicacy.

“Over the 48 hours of lobster season, we’ll receive calls for everything from boats taking on water, heart attacks, missing divers, whatever that may be,” said Gollan.

Crews with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, the Coast Guard and several police agencies are also patrolling the waters.

“They’re checking to make sure all laws are followed,” said Gollan.

Among the requirements: six lobsters per person, per boat, and the body and head of lobster has to be more than three inches long.

Gollan listed three main rules for those going out to dive for lobsters:

• Make sure your dive flag is displayed.
  • Make sure someone on land has your FLOAT plan.
  • Always dive with a buddy.
As of Wednesday afternoon, the condition of the injured diver remains unknown.

The two-day headstart lobster season there usually yields several incidents.

The more I read about mini-season, the less I want to ever be around when it happens.

friend of mine is doing it as a free-diver and said they get towed behind a boat and once they are over a wreck, they dive. That just does not seem like a good idea. Guess what else is at the back end of a boat.

The more I read about mini-season, the less I want to ever be around when it happens.
Yep. Same. I usually head to the Keys at least once each year. I just got back on Saturday. I don't really have any desire to do mini-season. May go down again during the regular season after the madness dies down, but no desire to do mini.

Good plan. Unless you are a rabid lobster hunter, you don't want to go ANYWHERE NEAR the water during the 2 days of mini season. I put it on my calendar every year for the purpose of making sure I'm NOT anywhere near a marina or beach in areas where there is good lobster hunting.

If I lived in the Keys (which I hope to do in the next several years), I think mini season would just be a couple days when I'd keep my boat on the lift and wait it out. Lobster will still be there when the craziness is over.

I live in southwest Florida where we don't have much lobster hunting. The sites with lobster are too far offshore. But during mini season I definitely stay away from southeast FL and you couldn't pay me to go to the Keys.

It's worse than that.
Sort of like when the Blue Angels held their first open tryouts! :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom