Lobster diver near drowning - Biscayne Bay, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Mini season always brings incidents. I have to wonder how well prepared the diver and his equipment were.

MIAMI – Police are investigating after a man was hospitalized following a near-drowning incident in Biscayne Bay Wednesday afternoon.

According to Miami-Dade Fire Rescue, the incident was reported just after 1 p.m. as a possible drowning near the 300 block of Crandon Blvd in Key Biscayne.

According to police sources, one man was diving for lobsters during its mini-season when he struggled to breathe and sank to the bottom of the ocean.

A police source told Local 10 News the man was brought back to the surface by his fellow divers.

Authorities said the man was transported to Jackson South’s Ryder Trauma Center where his condition has not been revealed.

Sky 10 flew over the scene around 5:30 p.m. where a Miami-Dade Crime Scene Investigator van was spotted in the parking lot along with the Marina and a police boat that was docked.

No other information has been released at this time.

Mini season always brings incidents. I have to wonder how well prepared the diver and his equipment were.

I am having a slight problem understanding the concept of a mini season and why there seems to be so many incidents. When I look at myfwc.com
I see a spiky lobster sport season between July 26-27, 2023 and a regular season between Aug. 6-March 31, what is the rush, are there no lobsters left after mini season?

It's nuts during the mini season and apparently getting worse every year. Yesterday a boat was caught fishing in Looe Key, a sanctuary. People come from all over and don't even read the regs. The last Dan statistics show an average of one diver death every day of the mini season for the last 10 years. Yes, 20 in ten years during the two day mini season. As the comments to the article note, somebody who hasn't been diving in ten years decides it's a good idea to wrestle with a lobster at 40 feet and overexerts themselves or has a heart attack. I'll admit it's great fun but you better be in shape and know what the hell you're doing. Most aren't and don't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom