Error Two abandoned divers saved by yacht - Florida (2016)

This Thread Prefix is for incidents caused by the diver, buddy, crew, or anyone else in the "chain".

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The OP is posting a story from 8 years ago? (Dated 2016).
Google search failed me again. I hate it when that happens.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread title updated to add year of incident: (2011)

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...Thread title updated to add year of incident: (2011)
Thanks. And I then changed it to 2016, the actual year of the incident that google gave me when I did a search of the last week. :mad:

I usually keep my cell phone until it stops working and I'm forced to buy another one. One of the reasons I went with a newer phone recently when my old phone died was the emergencey satellite help function for occasions like this when you don't have service. Always have a PLB on the boat too and a ditch bag just in case. It's a lonely world on the ocean even in a boat, can't imagine bobbing around by yourself or with one other person.

One of the reasons I went with a newer phone recently when my old phone died was the emergencey satellite help function for occasions like this when you don't have service.
ACR sent an email to subscribers this week that speaks to that. Here is the text and a link to more info...
iPhone SOS vs ACR Emergency Devices

In an age where most iPhone users have access to their phone's SOS feature at all times, why should they bother getting an emergency locator beacon? Here's why your phone's SOS feature might not be of benefit in your next adventure.

Many of us operate on the assumption that we will always have a cell signal, but the reality is that you may not always be in range of cell towers or reception centers, especially in the outdoors. In addition, there are times when you could be right in the middle of the city at a large concert, during a natural disaster, or event where too many people are congesting cell phone networks, leaving you with zero reception.

Even if you have the latest iPhone at your disposal with Satellite SOS for emergencies know that this service is extremely limited and should not replace your main satellite communication device like a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB), Emergency Position-Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB), or 2 Way Satellite Communicator like a Bivy Stick for the following reasons:

• The iPhone’s satellite SOS feature requires the user to go through a mandatory list of emergency responses before sending your emergency signal out to responders.
  • Emergency feature is only available in a few countries with limited coverage beyond latitude 62 degrees in northern Canada and Alaska. If and when Apple coverage extends into more countries, they still can’t offer global coverage.
  • If you’re under heavy vegetation or surrounded by other obstructions, it might not be possible to connect to a satellite at all.
  • If you are a boater, connecting to the satellites while floating in water will be extremely challenging.
  • While you can set up Emergency Contacts to receive your SOS notification, they can’t respond to the messages.
  • The service is currently free for 2 years, but apple has not disclosed what the future price will be for this service.

ACR's award winning line of products are made for the sole purpose of saving lives outdoors and providing enhanced confidence. The reliability of our devices far out way that of any iphone's SOS feature. Here are just a few of the products that prove it so:

- The Bivy Stick is great for the common traveler, allowing for 2-way text communication via satellite, no matter how remote your location.

- The ResQLink VIEW RLS is commonly known amongst avid hikers and rock climbers as being the best device for alerting Search and Rescue in times of an emergency.

- The GlobalFix V5 EPIRB has been the number 1 companion of both local and commercial boaters and sailors worldwide, leaving you prepared for whatever the waves might bring.

To learn more about our products and how they compare to the iPhones SOS feature, click the link below!​

A Nautilus marine rescue GPS & Garmin inReach mini are always in my left pocket.

The boats I use are very thorough about diver roll calls but still. Be prepared.

Seems like green laser pointer could be useful for signalling planes.
Are those waterproof to 150 feet? ACR sells strobes that would be seen by all around, but a laser would have to be accurately aimed, and then you blind the pilot.
The boats I use are very thorough about diver roll calls but still. Be prepared.
DAN did studies about how easily roll calls backfire and several years ago produced and offered for free to all dive boats checkout & in boards with tags for each diver. I saw one once, but it wasn't being used. Never caught on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom