What is DIR???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by O-ring

LY, I have heard the same thing...my instructor had met him and said he isn't nearly as bad in person as he is on the net and he wasn't nearly as bad as he is now a couple years ago. My instructor attributed that to people asking him the same dumb questions over and over again for the past couple years...I guess that would make anyone cranky after a while...

I tell ya what, if you can get him running on a decompression or physiology topic, the knowledge that pours out is tremendous. I'm glad I have taken notes for the past 4-5 years.

:)

Mike

Please forgive this interuption but,

Klatu Niktu Barada

From the Sci-Fi classic, "The Day the Earth Stood Still"

Now you can get back to your discussion.

I'm very interested in DIR. In fact, I have a Halcyon single wing and SS backplate on order from Fifth Dimension. However, I haven't seen much information on adapting DIR to the type of conditions (definitely non-cave!) that I face. These include surf entries and long swims through kelp. In this case, I'd be concerned about a wrist-mounted bungied computer coming off in the surf. Also, I frequently find a snorkel to be very helpful in long swims through chop, especially when towing a tired diver during training. I recognize that a snorkel could get in the way when handing off the long hose.

Another concern is that it is not practical to bring my like-minded buddy on vacation with me to places like Cozumel. Granted, I would want to dive with the best non-paired buddy on the boat, but the reality is that you really don't know the person,and must rely on the Divemaster and your own equipment and skills in the event of an emergency. I also think a $400 HID light is a bit of an overkill for a typical Cozumel night dive (i.e., shallow depth, no overhead, excellent viz).

I'd be interested in any comments and perspectives from DIR types about adapting DIR to local conditions and personal needs.

Originally posted by Hal Iotis
I'm very interested in DIR. In fact, I have a Halcyon single wing and SS backplate on order from Fifth Dimension. However, I haven't seen much information on adapting DIR to the type of conditions (definitely non-cave!) that I face. These include surf entries and long swims through kelp. In this case, I'd be concerned about a wrist-mounted bungied computer coming off in the surf. Also, I frequently find a snorkel to be very helpful in long swims through chop, especially when towing a tired diver during training. I recognize that a snorkel could get in the way when handing off the long hose.

Another concern is that it is not practical to bring my like-minded buddy on vacation with me to places like Cozumel. Granted, I would want to dive with the best non-paired buddy on the boat, but the reality is that you really don't know the person,and must rely on the Divemaster and your own equipment and skills in the event of an emergency. I also think a $400 HID light is a bit of an overkill for a typical Cozumel night dive (i.e., shallow depth, no overhead, excellent viz).

I'd be interested in any comments and perspectives from DIR types about adapting DIR to local conditions and personal needs.

Hal,

I'd clip the snorkel to your left harness strap and use a piece of inner tube on the bottom (like the backup light setup). Remove it when you need it, and stow it for the dive.

There's no rules on having to use an HID light. Get yourself a cannister with a halogen light-more than enough for the diving you mention. The cannister will sit in the slipstream and be out of the way.

As for diving with non-DIR folks, well, that's one that you're going to have to figure out on your own. I think you've already answered it.

Computer-just make sure it's secure. Or keep it in a pocket until you're out of the surf.

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

DIR has a dark side unfortunately:
<snip>
If you can get past the invective then you will be blessed.

UP... You wouldnt be George Carlin in disguise ??????

:jester:

Originally posted by Ed Jewell
Please forgive this interuption but,

From the Sci-Fi classic, "The Day the Earth Stood Still"

Now you can get back to your discussion.

Not bad, Ed! I wondered what took so long! It is truly a classic!

Scubaturek,

Thanks for the correction (and video). Can I blame it on dyslexia even though I'm not?!!

Aha! This is, IMHO, the crux of the DIR phenomenon. If you follow DIR to the letter (which you must to officially be DIR in GI's mind) you would 1) never dive with non-DIR divers (strokes) and 2) not adopt DIR in a piecemeal fashion...it is all or nothing or you are not diving DIR. Either you DIRitize (a verb?) your entire configuration and practices or you are not DIR.

I may be a little off on this, but this is what I have gathered so far. As for myself, I am definitely not DIR (yet) but am reading up on it and slowly adopting DIR into my diving. I have had some correspondence with LY on this and so far it has made sense.

I have a UK SL4 as my primary right now, so the only canister I own is the one I keep sugar inside in my pantry. That being said, if I ever get to do the types of diving I want and am training for now, I realize that I will have to upgrade it. Right now, for the day dives I am doing, it works ok for looking into crevices.

Bottom line - I do what works for me with DIR leanings, but I am definitely not a cave diver...

Thanks to all for answers and insights...

I have to say that I found out that the two local dive shops (LDS) that I am shopping at carry BP's and wings. (Halcyon, Diverite and OMS between the two). They are both softly steering me away from the BP/Wings set up as my sole rig and say that as exclusive rec diving it it not practical (still leaving the end decision up to me). This is considering that in Canadian prices (retail) it is pretty much the same cost as a Raider or S-Tek setup. WHAT'S the deal?!? :bonk:

Second, I am feeling that I don't want to be the only one diving a BP and wings as I build on my 20 dive experience with everyone else having the tech BCD's. It may take away from my learning being the only one with a BP style on a 50ft recreational sunday morning dive. All the guys are super nice and seem to have my best interest in hand....

Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom