What is DIR???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll give you my take.

2. The guys who came up with the whole DIR thing are the elite of the industry. No one can touch what they have done -- can't even come close. With elitism generally comes an attitude. This is seen in a lot of sports, not just scuba. The WKPP guys have a track record of zero deaths since Irvine took over (8yrs now?) while doing the most dangerous diving on the planet. In their opinion, if their gear and techniques they use for their dives does, in fact, work for their dives (which it obviously does), then why wouldn't their philosophy work on all dives (including recreational)? This is the attitude.

Common sense will tell you that their techniques, gear, configuration, and general philosophy will work exceedingly well for all dives. Of course, this doesn't fly for marketing very well does it? Of course not. It's never mattered to the industry if what these guys say is right or wrong regarding gear, training, or even decompression theory. DIR is not a great sales gimmick and never will be.

The WKPP guys weren't/aren't salesmen or making money by giving instruction. They are divers who's sole purpose was to see an end to unneeded deaths (primarily in caves). To be frank, I believe they were getting sick of being called to pull dead bodies out of caves. On top of that, they were finding it increasingly difficult to get access to various cave as the reult of fatalities. So they got POed and attacked the entire diving industry, from the certifying agencies to equipment manufacterers. Needless to say, they were/are out numbered. Irvine went the more vulgar direction and Jablonski went the salesmen direction. Both have impacted the industry but with Irvine being the louder of the bunch.

So, now they are giving the industry a run for it's money. They came up with GUE for decent training and Halcyon/EE for decent gear. They did this only after trying to convince other manufacturers to make decent equipment. Some call DIR a sales line. Maybe it is now, but there's a reason for it -- nobody else would.

That's the attitude. There are some who follow DIR who genuinely believe there is a better way to dive; to train; to take care of your body; etc. They see an industry that is driven primarily by greed, and they see divers die needlessly because of it. Some get mad and vulgar, and others (most, BTW) try to change things more subtly and with a friendlier voice. I choose the latter method because the merits of DIR speak for themselves. All one has to do to an unbiased diver is present it and, most of the time, the diver will see the merits -- not the attitude.

That's number 2.

Mike

No show-

1.)Do they sell DIR equipment or Halcyon brand? If not, they'll tell you that it's only for technical diving. Why? 'Cause they don't get the sale and commission on the product, and most dive shop personnel have no idea what DIR or Hogarthian is at all.

We use the term all of the time on this board and others, but realize that the people using these boards are , IMHO, people that are wanting to improve themselves in some way or at least get the best information that they can.

2.) Some of it is the mouthpiece of the WKPP (George) and his not so gentle way of handling people, and some of it are followers that think George's way of dealing with people is the only way.

That said, you may not like the way he says it, but you will not find ANYONE with more information than him. He and his dive partners are doing dives than NO ONE IN THE WORLD can even come remotely close to. I tend to listen to this type of individual-he's doing the dives, and universities and government agencies are following his exploits.

Example- his team gets into the water in the morning, does a 19000 foot penetration (yes, thats over 3 miles!) at 300fsw, and is out of the water and having dinner that evening. This is why he has a following regardless of his demeanor.

Get past the vitriol and listen to what he says. I learn a ton from him.

Dive safe,

Jack

Gee, Mike and I must have been typing at the same time!!!

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

Sorry... I wasn't clear...
What is the name of your DIR LDS?

The point is that there are no DIR local dive shops around here, at least none that 'm aware of. (do DIR exclusive dive shops exist?) That's why I am curious as to there response to my inquiry after they have suggested BC's like the Raider, Tech and S-Tek...

No Show
:cheers:

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

You are connected and controlled by the borg

OH NO! Not the Borg! Aaargh......

Klatu Niktu Barada

Anybody remember what that was from?

Originally posted by detroit diver
No show-

I tend to listen to this type of individual-he's doing the dives, and universities and government agencies are following his exploits.

Dive safe,

Jack

Great insight... any details on this adoption of ideology/technique/policy???

No Show
:cheers:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom