What is DIR???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The shops up here haven't even heard of DIR and wouldn't care if they had. They are happy selling the stuff they sell and I'm happy not dealing with them :D.

Yes, there are DIR exclusive dive shops with www.extreme-exposure.com being the most notible.

Mike

Originally posted by noshow

Great insight... any details on this adoption of ideology/technique/policy???

No Show
:cheers:

It's always hard to gauge what the government is doing, but I know they are quite interested in his deco procedures. If you were to take existing tables and apply them to the dives he's doing, the deco would be something like 2 days (I may be a little off here, but you get the idea).

Mike's (Lost Yooper) links above are well worth checking out. Start at the WKPP site, the go to GUE. If you're at all interested in learning more, get a subscription to the quest list at GUE. It will provide more information to you in a week than you will learn elsewhere in a year, if ever.

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
Yes, there are DIR exclusive dive shops with www.extreme-exposure.com being the most notible.

Mike
I would have to say that in this case *most notible* is closer to *the only*.

One of the premier DIR dive shops that is often quoted as an online source for DIR gear has a little corner of the store dedicated to DIR and the rest of the store is devoted to selling such things as split fins, BCs and all the usual non-DIR dive trinkets.

A fellow must eat after all.... even if it is only vegatables. DIR is not the big money making thing some of its detractors want to make it out to be. Neither is it the religion of devotees.... pragmatism in business must come in to play.... not everyone wants spring loaded turtles :wink:

Yes, the word exclusive wasn't quite right. There are shops that try to push the DIR thing as much as possible. In fact, there is a rise in OW instructors training their OW students DIR right from the get go -- with great results :thumb:.

Good catch, UP.

Mike

The point is that there are no DIR local dive shops around here, at least none that 'm aware of.
Ahhh.... I see.... where are you located?

That's why I am curious as to there response to my inquiry after they have suggested BC's like the Raider, Tech and S-Tek...
It will be, predictably, negative in most cases.

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
Vancouver, British Columbia!!!!
Shoot.... see what daylight savings time does to me...
Right there under your name is your location and I go and ask you where you are located....

And you were nice enough not to call me stupid!

OK... as a reward.... drive on down to Everett, WA and I will take you out diving with a DIR singles rig.... genuine Halcyon even.

Will be speaking next Saturday at Shenandoah University from 2-4 pm. Send me a PM if you want more info.
Ken

I hear he's not nearly as bad in public as he is on the net

LY, I have heard the same thing...my instructor had met him and said he isn't nearly as bad in person as he is on the net and he wasn't nearly as bad as he is now a couple years ago. My instructor attributed that to people asking him the same dumb questions over and over again for the past couple years...I guess that would make anyone cranky after a while...

Maybe I missed it (too tired to read all of UP and LY's posts - I will tomorrow), but you could always get the DIR fundamentals book (they have it on Amazon for $20 or straight from GUE for $24...GUE includes shipping I think, but if you are ordering a lot of other stuff Amazon is easy...).

I just ordered it last week...will let you know what I think once I finish it..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom