Question What is best to wear under a base layer like Mares Ultraskin, Bare Exowear, or Sharkskin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott 2000

Registered
Reaction score
For those that own and wear a base layer, what do you wear underneath it? I just bought my first base layer (Mares Ultraskin) and they're definitely skin tight by design. My men's board shorts/swim trunks seem a bit too bulky to wear underneath.

Does anyone wear nothing beneath their base layer?

I don’t wear anything under my Lavacore shorts. At surface a lot of times I’ll slip a pair on board shorts over them.

Most do not wear anything under the base layer. If you're insecure about your appearance in the base layer many people will wear a tee shirt and shorts over their base layer.

Is it insecurity or modesty in choosing not to tempt peoples eyeballs with your bits

I wear Budgies, for Security, and I just so happened to Salten them up in the ocean
yesterday

Thanks for the replies! Not a modesty issue at all and not worried about appearances.

I suppose a few specific thoughts come to mind:

1. When I get back on the boat, am I going to want to get out of them?
2. Any potential comfort issues that I'm as of yet unaware of when wearing them throughout a dive
3. Many boats don't have a head. I'm fine using the ocean in a bathing suit, but not sure how it would work out in a base layer.

Smartwool Underwear, but I am changing in public, so I want to make sure my twig and berries are covered.

I've usually worn nothing under a dive skin, but do have a pair of Apeks tech shorts on top, which addresses some of the issues some might face about this.

I recently purchased some swimming (as in, lap swim) trunks, so they are short and tight, and should go well under next time around, just in case.

(For a drysuit undergarment, I wear sport underwear and various hiking layers, but I think you're asking about wet dives.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom