What if Shearwater made a purely recreational computer???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The physics isn't there to create a signal to shearwater standards - they would be doing themselves a disservice. They would have to create an entirely new chip and everything. It's not worth it.

Fixed it for ya

Oh puhlease. $1350 on spamason with transmitter, not sure what the warranty deal may be. Icon HD is $540 @ LP w/o transmitter (you may have to be in Honduras to get that price on-line), the pod is $200. Etfc. I doubt you can buy a grey market DG03 though.

My prices are from DRIS, which is fair non-grey market pricing. Quoting grey market is "apples and oranges", as you would say. But hey, buy whatever computer you want. If we all liked the same thing buying gear would be easy.

My prices are from DRIS, which is fair non-grey market pricing. Quoting grey market is "apples and oranges", as you would say. But hey, buy whatever computer you want. If we all liked the same thing buying gear would be easy.

If LP aren't an "authorized dealer" and I'll have to send the computer back to them rather than to Oceanic in the very unlikely event I'll need warranty service, that's OK with me.

The fact is that "recreational" non-AI computer is $200 tops. The other $600 on Shearwater's price tag is the shiny colour screen and a bunch of tek features. Personally I'd rather add a few bucks and book a plane ticket to a Caribbean island.

If LP aren't an "authorized dealer" and I'll have to send the computer back to them rather than to Oceanic in the very unlikely event I'll need warranty service, that's OK with me.

The fact is that "recreational" non-AI computer is $200 tops. The other $600 on Shearwater's price tag is the shiny colour screen and a bunch of tek features. Personally I'd rather add a few bucks and book a plane ticket to a Caribbean island.

Digital compass. Bluetooth log download. User-replaceable AA battery. OLED screen. Intuitive 2-button interface. Built-in bungee mount support.

You may not value those features, but they're not solely "tek features", they're legitimately valuable features that really make a difference. They may not be worth it to YOU, but to say that a $200 computer is exactly the same to a recreational diver is bogus, and akin to saying that your 1993 Toyota Corolla is just as good as a 2016 Avalon. A lot of people value those features, and they justify a lot of the cost difference.

I would probably buy a REC Shearwater even though I will not take the TEC diving route. I like the idea of an uncluttered display, bungee mount, user changeable batteries, etc. So far my Suunto D4i meets my requirements.

GJS

to say that a $200 computer is exactly the same to a recreational diver is bogus, and akin to saying that your 1993 Toyota Corolla is just as good as a 2016 Avalon.

Right. I'd take the corolla any day. For one thing, I can fix a 1993 car.

Right. I'd take the corolla any day. For one thing, I can fix a 1993 car.
Great - so go ahead and do that. I bought a Perdix and love it - great visibilty, clear info presentation, great battery life, awesome form factor, great compass, etc.

Shearwater computers have an excellent rec mode - better than most dedicated rec computers imho. If you don't like the price/features/value, then go ahead and buy the $200 rec computer if it does the job for you. You have options in a free market. Shearwater has decided AI is not for them today and are still very successful without it. Deal with it!

BTW - I bought the Perdix and still booked plane tickets to 3 Caribbean islands this year - the 2 actions are not mutually exclusive. Like anything else, buy what meets your minimum requirements within the budget you can afford. Everything else is discretionary and up to the individual.

Last edited:
Great - so go ahead and do that. I bought a Perdix and love it - great visibilty, clear info presentation, great battery life, awesome form factor, great compass, etc.

Shearwater computers that have an excellent rec mode - better than most dedicated rec computers imho. . . .

Yep, that's my thinking, as I alluded to in a post above. As I see it, what you're paying for is an absolutely superb, rock-solid computer--call it "rec" or whatever you wish--from a company that cares about its customers. Total peace of mind that you have the best money can buy and will more than meet your needs for a decade or more. That's the basic platform. As I see it, the "tech" features are just freebie software stuff on top of that basic platform. If one considers himself a "rec diver," he can effectively turn those features off by operating in Rec Mode.

The point of that quip was that while all analogies suck, automotive analogies suck particularly hard.

The thread is "what if Shearwater made rec computer". I don't think I've seen one Shearwater on my Caribbean vacations: I see plenty of Zoops and many watches. I know most of them cost less than half of Shearwaters and I think Shearwater would have a very tough time competing at that price point. So if I were them I wouldn't bother & leave the rec market to pucks.

Oh yeah, and I've got a great battery life on mine: replaced it first time after 2 years when it was still showing 50% charge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom