What if Shearwater made a purely recreational computer???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Honestly shearwater computers are on the cheaper side of capable rec computers. Especially if you go used - they are build like tanks and the used ones are probably only being sold because the owner is upgrading. If you want a rec mode - turn on rec mode. Why would you want to buy a crippled rec only computer?

It's actually substantially cheaper than other recreational computers with similar or worse features. Suunto Eon, Oceanic VTX, Mares Icon HD, almost all of the Suunto watch style computers, etc.

What, seriously? All three of those have something Shearwater's not interested in putting in their computers.

DG03 is Buhlman-ish computer with features going far beyond recreational limits. It's $250. What you get for the price difference between that and the Perdix is colour screen with attendant battery size & life issues and Shearwater's stellar customer service. Which in all likelyhood you aren't gonna ever need. Oh, and did I mention that thing you're not getting?

What, seriously? All three of those have something Shearwater's not interested in putting in their computers.

DG03 is Buhlman-ish computer with features going far beyond recreational limits. It's $250. What you get for the price difference between that and the Perdix is colour screen with attendant battery size & life issues and Shearwater's stellar customer service. Which in all likelyhood you aren't gonna ever need. Oh, and did I mention that thing you're not getting?

If I misread your post and you don't mean what I think you mean then don't read this. LOL

That color screen is worth any amount of money to some divers. There is a reason why divers still use predators - the oled screen is amazing. In a dark dive with low viz - try reading your DG03 then. I have 2 shearwater petrel 2's, 1 perdix and 2 predators - I have yet to run into any kind of battery issue. ever. I would pay separately for the shearwater support if I had to - just for the peace of mind it gives me. You're right I've never had to use it - because these computers are the best computers money can buy, bar none. If you are talking about AI - it is a waste and a cheat for bad divers.

Well that sounds way more heartfelt then I intended...LOL. posting it anyway.

Last edited:
the oled screen is amazing. In a dark dive with low viz

No argument there. Personally I don't find diving in no vis in the dark recreational but to each his own.

I'm not going to comment on AI except to say that all of the "more expensive" computers mentioned upthread have extra hardware in the base unit plus qouted prices are typically including the transmitters. A little apples to oranges there.

...//... If you are talking about AI - it is a waste and a cheat for bad divers. ...//...
OK, it could very well be.

But it would also eliminate the only one thing that I really dislike about my SM rig, the lollipops. Yes, I could bungee them to stand up. Then the hoses are sharply curved and under a lot of stress. I'd much rather have the readings be on my wrist along with the subtraction so that I can glance down and decide when to switch. A convenience, just like a DC. Don't really need one, but it sure makes things simpler when it is working.

No argument there. Personally I don't find diving in no vis in the dark recreational but to each his own.

I'm not going to comment on AI except to say that all of the "more expensive" computers mentioned upthread have extra hardware in the base unit plus qouted prices are typically including the transmitters. A little apples to oranges there.

The Eon is $1400 WITHOUT transmitter. It's another $440. Icon is $799 without transmitter. VTX $949 without, add $350 to get transmitter. D4 is $824, transmitter $450.

So the Shearwater destroys them all in price even without the transmitter.

I went diving in some mud one time - NOW THAT is not recreational at all lol. It was thick like chowder.
OK, it could very well be.

But it would also eliminate the only one thing that I really dislike about my SM rig, the lollipops. Yes, I could bungee them to stand up. Then the hoses are sharply curved and under a lot of stress. I'd much rather have the readings be on my wrist along with the subtraction so that I can glance down and decide when to switch. A convenience, just like a DC. Don't really need one, but it sure makes things simpler when it is working.

If it was more reliable I could see using it - but I know technology like those in AI systems is kind of sketchy sometimes and I don't think it's a good idea to risk it when you can just deal with the spgs. ymmv.

...//... If it was more reliable I could see using it - but I know technology like those in AI systems is kind of sketchy sometimes and I don't think it's a good idea to risk it ...//...
Which is PRECISELY why I'd love to see Shearwater's offering.

You have no hope of convincing me that it can't be done to almost any degree of reliability. It is a cost/profit thing and Shearwater knows how to grab a market if they want it.

The Eon is $1400 WITHOUT transmitter.

Oh puhlease. $1350 on spamason with transmitter, not sure what the warranty deal may be. Icon HD is $540 @ LP w/o transmitter (you may have to be in Honduras to get that price on-line), the pod is $200. Etfc. I doubt you can buy a grey market DG03 though.

Which is PRECISELY why I'd love to see Shearwater's offering.

You have no hope of convincing me that it can't be done to almost any degree of reliability. It is a cost/profit thing and Shearwater knows how to grab a market if they want it.

The technology isn't there to create a signal to shearwater standards - they would be doing themselves a disservice. They would have to create an entirely new chip and everything. It's not worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom