What if Shearwater made a purely recreational computer???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This thread was started because another thread (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...zers/519628-shearwater-coming-out-new-dc.html) diverged into many different topics, and splitting it out into all of them was too big a job.

In that thread, one diverging discussion was related to whether Shearwater should make a computer that focused solely on the recreational diving market. If you have any opinions on that issue, please make them here. If you want to see the previous discussion to see what others said before, just follow the link above.

Ill start this one off If Shearwater made purely Recreational computer then it would be picked on because it didnt give you enough Deco Information or do helium. Also if it were AI someone would undoubtedly complain if the Petrels didnt get AI as well. I think that they have already made a recreational computer in the Recreational Nitrox mode.

Yeah, but AI would be very nice.

Perhaps they keep all the standard hardware and allow divers to purchase the software that meets their needs, more or less technical. That way a rec diver could buy into the platform at a moderate price and have the capability of moving into a more sophisticated platform may purchasing the enhanced software. A built in growth path without having to ditch the original hardware. Might be as simple as paying for an "unlock" key to gain the enhanced features.

Yeah, but AI would be very nice.

Perhaps they keep all the standard hardware and allow divers to purchase the software that meets their needs, more or less technical. That way a rec diver could buy into the platform at a moderate price and have the capability of moving into a more sophisticated platform may purchasing the enhanced software. A built in growth path without having to ditch the original hardware. Might be as simple as paying for an "unlock" key to gain the enhanced features.

But isn't the hardware the costly bit? There's no reason two different software platforms on a dive computer should have different prices.

But isn't the hardware the costly bit? There's no reason two different software platforms on a dive computer should have different prices.

Based on my career experience in technology sales, hardware gets cheaper by the minute. It's the intelligence built into the software that gives the hardware value. Lots of products will embed a full copy of their software, but disable certain functionality unless you pay for the unlock key. That is the easy way distribute product and allow for built in enhancement.

From a business perspective, why shouldn't they ? I think they are leaving "money on the table", by not hopping into the "Recreational Only" market. I seem to recall another company that expanded it's product line & offerings. I think it's name was. . . umm . . . Apple ?? Imagine a "Perdix-R", (rec only version) for $395 to $495, possibly including AI, and the transmitter for another $195 to $295, and that puts you roughly at the price of the existing Perdix. So for roughly the same price, you could get a Perdix or a Perdix-R, it's YOUR choice. And of course there could potentially be an upgrade path/key for the R version to the "Tec" version. Upgrade/pin/key would be $99 to $149. PURE PROFIT ! Fundamentally, why wouldn't Shearwater want to play in another market, that's way larger than Tec/Rebreather ? Good grief, I just laid out the entire business plan for them !! You're welcome Bruce !!

Dhboner's reply is valid. Just because there is a potentially large market in place, doesn't mean the company wants to necessarily take advantage of it. I would think that quality control and customer service would become more challenging the more products you add to the lineup.

Still, based on the company's current performance, I'd buy one.

Should Bugatti make a mini-van?

Most high end car companies are pursuing the modern equivalent of the mini van - the SUV. Porsche, Maserati, Bently among others.

Most high end car companies are pursuing the modern equivalent of the mini van - the SUV. Porsche, Maserati, Bently among others.

I wasn't baiting for a literal comparison...I simply meant that there will always be a place in the world for companies that cater solely to a specific market and they should never dilute their brand by being "all things to all people".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom