what/how to say 'wtf are you doing?'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When is solo not stupid ?
Possibly when pushing nasty SM cave, but I think the risk/reward involved in a dive where you can't have a buddy isn't worth it.
You feel an apprentice level diver is ok getting to the further reaches of the cave than their back gas can get them is ok ??
Depends on experience level. Either way, if I don't know them and they don't know me, chances are they won't put much thought into any advice I give.

I'd say solo is dumb anywhere, not just in small silty crevasses (which might be dumb, anyways).

There have been some good divers that bit it while solo or effectively solo. I 100% feel that being alone reduces your chance of survival should an issue occur.

I have to say thank you to so many of the people who posted in this thread. The information and opinions will serve as a caution as I start my CCR training in October. It's really going to be hard not to jump right back into the diving I'm doing now . . .

I have to say thank you to so many of the people who posted in this thread. The information and opinions will serve as a caution as I start my CCR training in October. It's really going to be hard not to jump right back into the diving I'm doing now . . .

It won't be that hard. You're going to spend half your time admiring a beautiful, rugged piece of machinery and the other half eyeballing it suspiciously wondering how it's gonna try and kill you. That alone will probably hold you back some. Who are you training with?

Peter Sotis. We will be doing the training in the Keys with Silent World. I am taking "Meg 1" and normoxic.

Peter Sotis. We will be doing the training in the Keys with Silent World. I am taking "Meg 1" and normoxic.

Nice. I almost wish we'd taken training in OW. Then we might not have realized how bad our buoyancy sucked. :rofl3:

Nice. I almost wish we'd taken training in OW. Then we might not have realized how bad our buoyancy sucked. :rofl3:

Don't remind me . . . I have worked so dang hard on trim and bouyancy in OC and all I see are the CCR divers with their :mooner: dragging :rofl3:

In that interest, I have a question for Nick. In about 2 months, we're going on a boat, and I'm planning to do exactly that which I think you were warning against: use skills for which a higher class specifically exists (in this case multi-stage decompression). Honestly, too far/too fast? (I can take it)

IMO no, you are solid in the water and easily able to handle it.The fact that you don't have an official card that "says you can" (And I guess I am not going into the ridiculousness that results in you not having the bit of plastic that says you "can" :)

You know, this speaks right back to the OP's question . . .

If you didn't know me, or the people I dive with and I showed up at Ginnie with a wrist band that said apprentice, but you find me in the basin, solo with a stage . . .

What would you say to me ???

"Can I have your tanks since you won't be needing them anymore?" :)
For me, it honestly depends on if the person I see "violating" rules is
a) Someone I am likely ever to dive with
b) is likely to get access to an entire site shut off if they do something stupid

if it's no and no, I guess I just let them do whatever the heck they would like.

This is true with people right now that IMO are really pushing things, but not likely to directly affect my diving in any serious way ... they are adults and can do what they want whether i approve or not and good luck

I'd think you're making a poor decision diving solo, but wouldn't care about the stage.

I agree on the solo but I think I kind of disagree about the stage in many conditions (maybe reversing my other post :) There are quite some subtleties in stage diving not just from where to drop and how to drop/pickup efficiently, but contingencies and gas management.

What is it, a 1-2 day class after full cave ?

IF a person had full cave AND was used to managing stages in OW then maybe if they got a good mentor, but given the various responses elsewhere on the specifics of stage diving that were pretty eye-opening then maybe even that's not enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom