What GPS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulpost

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi again, I have to buy a handheld GPS and learn to use it, my question is which is the best water proof and easy to use?

I don't know of any waterproof GPSs, but many can take an accidental splash to a shallow depth as long as you recover it quickly (Garmin lists them as “Marine-friendly”).

If you’re considering using this for navigating a boat, you want to be sure you can load charts. These will let you know where the danger spots are (shallow rocks and other hazards to navigation). The larger the screen, the better. Color also helps identify safe vs. dangerous areas (with the chart(s) loaded).

One that looks good (though this is just from a quick review of Garmin.com) is the GPSMAP 76Cx. It appears to be able to take Blue Charts, is Marine-friendly, handheld, and color. The MSRP is $374.99.

I have 7 Garmins (2 boat, 2 car, 3 handheld) and never have trouble with them. The accuracy on my boat surprises me (I’ve seen the rocks on the charts when it tells me I’m close).

You can see it online at: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=161&pID=350#

If you own a boat, I’d recommend a larger fixed unit, its difficult to read the handhelds when you’re on plane.

I have a Garmin Map 76. It's supposed to float and be waterproof. I haven't tested it to that level but it has been wet more than a few times.
It's pretty easy to use and has a well written manual. I use mine to plug in my favorite dive and fishing spots and my home port so I can find my way home if it's raining hard with a north wind, in which case I'm "crabbing" or side drifting, which a compass won't tell me. Also to find channels I've marked when coming back in the reef.

I had a hand held GPS Garmin Quest on my boat and I didn't like it for 2 reasons
# 1 when I used it in the car, it was great, but it wasn't water resistant, so after few times of using it on the boat it stopped working
# 2 the display was too small and was too hard to read

Now I spent the money and bought Garmin 520S with the depth sounder, specially made for open boats (see the picture below) and I am happy with this toy. So if you need the GPS for a boat, don't waste your money on hand held

Attachments

• P8230043.jpg
    P8230043.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 114
I have a Garmin 76CSx and really like it.
One of the reasons I like it is that you an use an external antenna with an 8 foot lead.

Use it flying ultralights and you can, and I hope I don't get flamed here, actually fly IFR with the thing.

the K

Don't trust the Garmin waterproof specs.

I've killed two Garmin Etrex series GPS units on a small sailboat. Neither was ever fully submerged, but did get a lot of spray as my 14' sailboat pounded in windwaves from the normal 15-18mph afternoon seabreeze.

Although they are supposedly rated for 1 meter submersion for 30 minutes (IPX7), don't expect them to perform to that level. West Marine did stand by the warranty, though.

Depending upon the weather, I now use either a small waterproof bag, or simply put it into a ziplok bag when taking on spray, and haven't killed another over the last couple years.

I have a Garmin 76CSx and really like it.
One of the reasons I like it is that you an use an external antenna with an 8 foot lead.

Use it flying ultralights and you can, and I hope I don't get flamed here, actually fly IFR with the thing.

the K

I wouldn't flame you even if I knew what you're talking about. :D What is IFR?

Instrument Flight Regulations . . . flying in the blind.

Means that you can't see where you're going and you're flying strictly by the information that your gauges are giving you.

the K

You can use a non IFR certified GPS in an aircraft under instrument flight rules as a "cockpit resource" but you better be on the instruemnts, the ones that are certified to be legal. I am instrument/commerical rated but I much prefer that I Follow Roads, lol.

IMG_0004_edited.jpg

I prefer Lowrance and Magellon, I have had excellent use with my little Magellon. I also like the Humminbird side scanning sonar units with the built in Navionics data sets.

You can see the Magellon on top of the console in it's cradle.

DSCF0276-1.jpg

When I was in primary flight school out at Fort Wolters, Texas, we actually carried Texax road maps with us when we were solo flying.

We were taught that if we got lost, get high enough to spot a water tank, fly to it and see what town we were flying over.

Wish we'd had GPS back then . . .

the K

Back
Top Bottom