Apple Watch newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

N5girl

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi

I am a beginner diver who is just about to hit 10 dives. We qualified with SSI because the PADI site had been hacked / wasn’t working during our dive course….

I have an Apple Ultra 2 and a lot of questions (despite watching the YT tutorials)

1. The plan is to dive globally. My Ultra doesn’t appear to record the GPS location in the US. Is there a workaround?

2. Should I keep uploading all my dives to the SSI site? Is this just a manual process? Should I switch to a different logbook now while I only have a few dives to copy over?

Thanks
Louise

We qualified with SSI because the PADI site had been hacked / wasn’t working during our dive course….
What? I don't understand what you are saying here, though it doesn't matter much either way. PADI and SSI are both well recognized, so whoever you used for training is mostly a non-issue.
2. Should I keep uploading all my dives to the SSI site? Is this just a manual process? Should I switch to a different logbook now while I only have a few dives to copy over?
I wouldn't. The SSI dive log is really lacking. I only used it for a little while to try out because there was a time where I could upload from my Garmin. I wouldn't use that long-term.

I'm currently using Subsurface. This works nicely with just about all dive computers. There are a couple apps that you can use to export dive data from the watch and import to Subsurface.

Subsurface is the bomb. Free. Runs on Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android. Free cloud storage and logbook syncing. Downloads from just about every computer on the market (though, not sure of the process for an Apple Watch).

Also, with Subsurface, you can take a picture with your smartphone, when you're at your dive site. Then, you can attach that picture to your log. Subsurface will match the photo to the dive based on date/time. If you have geolocation turned on in your smartphone camera app, then the GPS coordinates of your photo will be embedded in the photo and when you load it into Subsurface, it will automatically set the location of your dive using those GPS coordinates from the photo.

Whatever logbook you decide on (I use Subsurface myself), you can look on the App Store for my free application AWU2UDDF to export the dive profile information (time, depth and water temp) from the iPhone you have paired with your Apple Watch Ultra into a UDDF file that can be imported into your dive log.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom