Garmin Descent MK2i customization

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BobbyV

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, I just recently started using the Garmin Descent Mk2i with AI transmitter, primarily for GPS logging of dives. I can't say I'm in love at this point. It may be user error and lack of knowledge on my part, but I find it very cumbersome to have to flip through pages to do something as simple as view my remaining air. I also wish I had air and compass bearing on the same page. I am wondering if there's something I am missing from the manual that may help.

Otherwise, I am considering ditching this or switching it out with the Atmos Mission 2 for GPS logging (and as backup) along with the Perdix which my dive buddy uses and likes.

I've been diving the MK2i for almost a year and a half now and at first, yes, this was frustrating. The way I fixed it was simply to add an SPG and your issue is solved. The double tap on the watch itself during the dive gets easier the more you dive it and it becomes second nature.

I would say to keep diving it and make sure to add on a manual SPG (you should anyway for redundancy purposes). The data you get from the Garmin is absolutely fantastic if you are into it. I love being able to analyze my SAC rate and see what environmental factors contribute to where it is and what influences it, especially when I am teaching scuba. I would sincerely say to give it some more time before switching. That said, I have no history with the Perdix so I have no ability to comment on it.

Good luck!

I've been diving the MK2i for almost a year and a half now and at first, yes, this was frustrating. The way I fixed it was simply to add an SPG and your issue is solved. The double tap on the watch itself during the dive gets easier the more you dive it and it becomes second nature.

I would say to keep diving it and make sure to add on a manual SPG (you should anyway for redundancy purposes). The data you get from the Garmin is absolutely fantastic if you are into it. I love being able to analyze my SAC rate and see what environmental factors contribute to where it is and what influences it, especially when I am teaching scuba. I would sincerely say to give it some more time before switching. That said, I have no history with the Perdix so I have no ability to comment on it.

Good luck!
Thanks! I do have the SPG on the hip and honestly find that frustrating when doing photography work or other hands on work (research) to always have to check the hip spg. Not trying to knock the computer as it has its pros for sure, lots of functionality in a small package and battery life, but I should have done some more research before pulling the trigger. I am pretty sure at this point I'm going to get the perdix and relegate the Garmin to GPS and backup.

Otherwise, I am considering ditching this or switching it out with the Atmos Mission 2 for GPS logging (and as backup) along with the Perdix which my dive buddy uses and likes.
I can't help you on the MK2i specific questions. I have an MK2s, so don't have pressure information.

But, you might want to search on the Atmos Mission 2. There are some threads on here where owners were less than thrilled with how the GPS functioned on that watch.
Thanks! I do have the SPG on the hip and honestly find that frustrating when doing photography work or other hands on work (research) to always have to check the hip spg. Not trying to knock the computer as it has its pros for sure, lots of functionality in a small package and battery life, but I should have done some more research before pulling the trigger. I am pretty sure at this point I'm going to get the perdix and relegate the Garmin to GPS and backup.
That's kind of what I do. I have a Perdix AI as my primary, the MK2s is my backup.

The Perdix does have the ability to display a mini compass in one user configurable spot. This little mini compass will just give you the general directions. It won't show the bearing marks, etc. If you activate the full compass screen (that will show the bearing marks), the compass will take up the whole row. Which means you'll have the same issue. When the compass screen is fully active, the pressure, and whatever other info you have in that row will not be displayed.

The Teric, on the other hand, would allow this if you use the floating compass ring. North and bearing marks you make float around the edge of the screen.

I do more or less what you were contemplating. I use the Perdix as my main computer. The MK2s is my backup, and I'll use the compass on the Garmin if I need to navigate. Garmin, of course, also is used for the location info.

I can't help you on the MK2i specific questions. I have an MK2s, so don't have pressure information.

But, you might want to search on the Atmos Mission 2. There are some threads on here where owners were less than thrilled with how the GPS functioned on that watch.

That's kind of what I do. I have a Perdix AI as my primary, the MK2s is my backup.

The Perdix does have the ability to display a mini compass in one user configurable spot. This little mini compass will just give you the general directions. It won't show the bearing marks, etc. If you activate the full compass screen (that will show the bearing marks), the compass will take up the whole row. Which means you'll have the same issue. When the compass screen is fully active, the pressure, and whatever other info you have in that row will not be displayed.

The Teric, on the other hand, would allow this if you use the floating compass ring. North and bearing marks you make float around the edge of the screen.

I do more or less what you were contemplating. I use the Perdix as my main computer. The MK2s is my backup, and I'll use the compass on the Garmin if I need to navigate. Garmin, of course, also is used for the location info.
Nice, I am glad to hear you use this combo. I'm also happy to get the feedback on the Atmos. In hindsight, the MK2S would have made sense, but at this point I'll just keep the mk2i as the backup without the transmitter because I will probably lose more money trying to switch.

I just want the essential info I need visible without having to flip through pages, hence my being jealous of my dive buddy's perdix.

I just want the essential info I need visible without having to flip through pages, hence my being jealous of my dive buddy's perdix.
Yep. Perdix envy is real. I see it in the eyes of my dive buddies all the time.

Hi all, I just recently started using the Garmin Descent Mk2i with AI transmitter, primarily for GPS logging of dives. I can't say I'm in love at this point. It may be user error and lack of knowledge on my part, but I find it very cumbersome to have to flip through pages to do something as simple as view my remaining air. I also wish I had air and compass bearing on the same page. I am wondering if there's something I am missing from the manual that may help.

On Garmin devices you can customize all of the existing data screens, create new ones and reorder them. I have a mk2 not mk2i but I imagine that air pressure is one of the diving data fields you could add to the main screen in place of say temperature on the mk2i. You can definitely add a compass heading to the main screen. Select the dive mode then long press the middle left hand button, select for example Single-Gas Settings then Data Screens and go from there.

I'm aware that you can customize the data screens, however I've not found it possible to have compass bearing and tank pressure on the same data screen. On the default data screen you can only change one field which is toggle between tank pressure and temperature.

Another tact would be to make a Custom data screen and reorder the screens to make it the first one that displays when the dive starts. You can get that custom screen to show compass bearing, but you can't also show tank pressure, as it's not one of the selectable custom fields.

So, if you want to look at compass bearing and tank pressure at the same time you are flipping through multiple pages every time you need to use the compass. I'd be willing to stand corrected if there is a workaround, but if so, I've not found it yet. The same thing applies for water temperature.

For research diving, this equates to precious wasted time at depth flipping screens, so at this point the Garmin has been relegated to a backup/dive logger for me.

This is minor in the grand scheme of things, but note that you can put pressure as one of the fields on the middle row; then you can have both compass and pressure up at the same time. This is in tech mode, in rec mode only the bottom row is configurable.

This is minor in the grand scheme of things, but note that you can put pressure as one of the fields on the middle row; then you can have both compass and pressure up at the same time. This is in tech mode, in rec mode only the bottom row is configurable.
I didn’t see a tech mode…

Back
Top Bottom