What got you started in diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

james bond was the detrmaning factor for me. ever since i saw Thunderball with sean connery i wanted to dive. be able to gently glide through that world that still thrills me today. as soon as i was old enought to sighn up for a course i did. i think i was 13. i was just open water cirtified for a few years but recently i have been working on multiple levels of certifications. AOW, rescue , and 5 specialties

ive always loved the water. when i was about 3/4 years old i put my dads reg in his mouth and floted around the pool while he held the tank. ever since i loved diving and took the padi seal course and then went on to my open water. now i have my rescue and 2 specialties

I did a big project on diving when i was 10, made a book about it and everything, then promptly forgot about it for another decade.
Did a single dive in france a few years back, wasn't really that good, didn't know how to work my BC so ended up floundering around the bottom most of the time.

Then, when on a visit to the red sea earlier, i did my OW and AOW, and i've been hooked ever since, in the short few months since then, my knowledge (although unfortunatly not my dives) has increased at an exponential rate.

Buying up my kit now, got some serious diving planned for next year,.

I found out I'm weightless underwater :)

Paul in VT

A good friend (and work colleague at the time) was planning a short vacation to the Maldives. He decided to enroll in a PADI OW course and I asked to tag along. Anyway, we got certified together and a bunch of his friends invited me to go along on the Maldives trip with them. After five amazing dives around North and South Male atoll, I was hooked.

It was something the wife and I had always wanted to do. We've always had a love of the ocean and the undersea world (we're practically fixtures at most of the area aquariums) so for Christmas one year we were given the classes as a gift, and the rest is history!

Boredom. I was in the marine corps stationed in okinawa, japan. A fellow marine told me he was going to get certified to dive and that the LDS on base had a special, open water certification with all checkout dives and a kick *** mask/fins/snorkel/light/gloves combo all for $200.

I never watch Sea Hunt or Cousteau. I have never lived near the beach. I had never snorkled or even been to a coral reef. I did not know anyone who was a scuba diver (except I knew my dad had been a diver before I was born, but he has not dove since I've been alive).
I was 23, single, bored, and wanted to get out and do something. Scuba diving seemed as good as anything. I called the local shop and talked a friend into taking the course with me. The friend got certified and now never dives. But the neat twist of fate is that my girlfriend told a guy friend of hers that she was learning to scuba. Later, that guy decided to go take lessons. Then a year or so after this I met that guy, we fell in love and got hitched. It's a small world after all.
My first trip took my breath away and that's all she wrote.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom