What form of redundant Gas supply is preferred?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can do just about anything with doubles. You can even add stage bottles.

It will vary for different dives- depth, time, focus, conditions......
If a shallow reef dive, my lil al13. Otherwise my 30 or 40. For deep dives, I am in twins with deco bottle, and bailout of a 19- depending on the dive.

I really don't need the 13 cu ft for those 10 - 15 meter reef dives, but as I run the boat, I have a hard time not practicing what I preach. I mean, how do I refuse to let a diver dive solo on my boat because they don't have a redundant air source, if I don't carry one..... ijs.

Wonderful, that was just the info I was after! And thanks for being honest and not just trying to sell me your H2Odyssey! I think I will get that 19 ft stage. Tried one and have to say it was a PITA, but a) it was steel and HEAVY, and why would I even want steel for a bailout bottle?! The air doesn't get used up in normal use, so no buoyancy changes. And b) it came in the Akona bag and the straps on that were very long, so it dangled deep and loose. I think I want an aluminum, 19 or 16 cf, and want to rig it so it's closer to my body. Now I just need to find an affordable reg. Still vacillating if I shouldn't rather spend that money on a divetrip :). Been diving with a new, good buddy of comparable experience on Sunday, and OH how nice that is! I'm about ready to marry him, based on 4 dives :). Next dive, he had no tank, so I'm diving with my old, not really that compatible buddy, and ah, THAT'S why I need to get prepared to solo!! Indecision may be one of my problems, but I'm not sure...

Seahorsey,

An aluminum 19 will do fine. It will still be a couple pounds negative just from the regulator, but lighter than the steel. I would recommend that you try some of the tried and true methods to hang your backup tank (hung like a stage bottle, strapped to your primary tank, etc). Everyone has their own preferred method (rec and tech). The Right Method should encompass two key points:
1. Whatever way you find most comfortable ensuring that you will carry the backup tank with you, and not leave it on the dock or boat because its a PITA
2) Easy access and efficient deployment of the regulator in an emergency.

Other things to take into consideration when you buy a regulator is hose length to your second stage, which in part will be determined by how and where you hang the tank.

Ah, hose length! Never thought of that. If any of you have any links to your favorite ways of rigging it to be slung, feel free.. yeah I know I can google it and I did, but it's hard to judge for a stage newbie which ways are good.

manifolded double's and al40 of oxygen with backgas to complete deco without deco bottle on a single tank.

i have recovered 4 tons spools of fiber optics from 94'(blackwater 0' vis) in savanna river near elberton, i work solo all the time use a pst hp 130 with 27 al with backup reg slung from neck, i do all my own rigging and pre dive list, if i dive doubles i use pst 100's and always leave(1/3)of my gas for emergency procedure, i also dive smaller tanks, but always have a second pony attached, i never ean dive alone, and always remember stop breath think act... oh by the way money wasted on a newer spareair (3 cubic foot) will buy you a good used ponytank that will get u out of trouble in deeper water 19 is good starter...hope this helps

I think you get the hint that redundancy is or should be important, at least until we learn to breath water. Size is really dive dependent. I dive a rebreather and on OW dives of 20 msw or less, my diluent 30 cf supply is my bailout. On deeper dives it can be a slung 40 or even an 80. Caves are a minimum of a slung SM 80.

Even with the breather I always have access to all my gas OC (2nd stage reg) and plumb in option to the breather. Keep in mind that divers don't die from carrying too much accessible gas, but not enough is definitely a bummer.

Dale
TDI IT

You don't really think a majority of the solo dives made in the world are made with redundant air, do you? :rofl3:

I think the vast majority of solo dives are made in typical recreational single 80, vest BC. Maybe a majority of solo dives include a cutting device. :idk:

Back
Top Bottom