what drysuit would you choose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not a fan of the fusion. I wouldn't trust it to be durable enough, especially with a skin basically designed to be disposable.

http://www.zeagle.com/pinnacle/showproducts/2/Drysuits/

Great post Thal!

As far as the above quote, the skin is not designed to be disposable and the suit is extremely durable. The skin can be changed as the suit gets battle wounds. The Evo 2 is a tough suit, but in four years, can you give its battle wounds a make over and make it look new again? All suits get battle wounds, another benefit of the fusion is that the skin takes the abuse and not the inner bladder....thus allowing you to change the skin and make your suit look brand new again. That is not mandatory and not something that is 20 dives or even 100 dives into the suits life....but it is a nice option after a few years or few hundred dives :wink:

Everyone likes their own suit, the biggest thing for the OP is to try on some different suits. I had a customer today that came in for a Fusion and left with an Evo 2. The Evo 2 was a better fit for his body type and looked better on him than the Fusion that he was inbetween sizes on.

Go somewhere that you can try on suits, or be able to swap suits around if you get one you don't like. That way, even though you purchased it, you are NOT stuck with it and can get something else

Great post Thal!

As far as the above quote, the skin is not designed to be disposable and the suit is extremely durable. The skin can be changed as the suit gets battle wounds. The Evo 2 is a tough suit, but in four years, can you give its battle wounds a make over and make it look new again? All suits get battle wounds, another benefit of the fusion is that the skin takes the abuse and not the inner bladder....thus allowing you to change the skin and make your suit look brand new again. That is not mandatory and not something that is 20 dives or even 100 dives into the suits life....but it is a nice option after a few years or few hundred dives :wink:

Everyone likes their own suit, the biggest thing for the OP is to try on some different suits. I had a customer today that came in for a Fusion and left with an Evo 2. The Evo 2 was a better fit for his body type and looked better on him than the Fusion that he was inbetween sizes on.

Go somewhere that you can try on suits, or be able to swap suits around if you get one you don't like. That way, even though you purchased it, you are NOT stuck with it and can get something else

I agree, it's pretty neat that you can make your suit look brand new and it does protect the core from damage. I wouldn't be surprised if the skin lasted 200+ dives.

I look at battle wounds as badges of honor! jk :p I'll admit the fusion did have me tempted for a good while, it's a great idea and I will always be slightly jealous of people who have them, but at the same time, I love my evo2 more :)

But yeah, DRIS is correct, try on suits. I tried on 5 different suits (though I only got to dive 2 of them) before making the decision.

Not much more I can add other than my personal experience. I chose a DUI CF 200 crushed neo suit. I bought it because I wanted the most indestructible suit DUI had and they held the CF200 out as that. I must say, it has lived up to its reputation for durability. It also fits nice and has some stretch so it moves with you in the water, as apposed to material that has no stretch. The down sides are that it is heavy, takes forever to dry, and is expensive. I think I would suggest a DUI CLX450 cordura. There are a lot of great dry suits, DUI is certainly one of them. Just find one that you like and are comfortable in and enjoy your dive. Good luck.

Not much more I can add other than my personal experience. I chose a DUI CF 200 crushed neo suit. I bought it because I wanted the most indestructible suit DUI had and they held the CF200 out as that. I must say, it has lived up to its reputation for durability. It also fits nice and has some stretch so it moves with you in the water, as apposed to material that has no stretch. The down sides are that it is heavy, takes forever to dry, and is expensive. I think I would suggest a DUI CLX450 cordura. There are a lot of great dry suits, DUI is certainly one of them. Just find one that you like and are comfortable in and enjoy your dive. Good luck.

WK, did you ever get sick due to the squeeze in the CF200? I had an opportunity to dive it at the DUI Dog Days. It may have been because it was my first drysuit dive ever but the squeeze actually made me feel nauseous. I tried on the CLX450 later and it felt totally different. Not sure why but being i nthat CF200 totally destroyed me...

Don't know anything about whites...but between the suits that my friends and I dive in, I would either check out Bare or Dive Rite for durability, design, and general construction!

Whites Fusion

... he said easy to slip on and off. Whatever its advantages, the Fusion's probably the hardest suit on the recreational market to get into and out of ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

First, read Thalassamania's reply at http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5503405-post6.html .

Second, where and how do you plan to dive?

I won't repeat many of the previous comments. A few bits of information which I did not observe in this thread:

Trilaminates and their ilk pack the smallest and dry the fastest. Crushed neoprene dries a little slower. Neoprene (not crushed) dries the slowest.

Remember that trilams and the like afford no insulation in and of themselves. You can dive them in very warm water if you choose to do so. However, you will carry bulkier undergarments with you as compared to (non-crushed) neoprene.

If you want to ice-dive a neoprene suit will freeze solid between dives unless you have a warming hut (and most ice-diving classes do). Crushed neoprene will also he stiff as a board. The trilam suits will remain the most pliable.

I own a DUI TLS 350. It is the only drysuit that I have ever dived, so I can't compare it to anything. I know several Whites Fusion owners who love the flexibility of the suits, but they seem to be tougher to get in and out of (based upon what some divers have said - I make no claim to that effect as I simply don't know).

PS - you REALLY do want suspenders.

Also, I opted for Rock boots rather than turbo soles since if the rock boots wear out I can simply order new ones. If turbo soles wear out you need to ship them back to the factory.

Finally, large thigh pockets rock!

Yeah...White's Fusion is a nice suit, but they are not the easiest to get on and off. There are many brands to look at. Pinnicale, Bare, other models of Whites, Waterproof. I am partial to DUI. I've had a TLS 350 (grew out of it - I hate to admit it!), and now a CF200. But look at the TLS350. Easy to get in and out of, and choice of undergarments based on the water termperature is great. Really a quality suit, but you will pay good money for it. Good luck.

Safe diving to you guys.

It's all about trade-offs ...

Trilaminates and their ilk pack the smallest and dry the fastest. Crushed neoprene dries a little slower. Neoprene (not crushed) dries the slowest.
... and if you're traveling with the suit, you have to ask yourself how much water weight you're willing to put up with when you pack that suit for the trip home.

Remember that trilams and the like afford no insulation in and of themselves. You can dive them in very warm water if you choose to do so. However, you will carry bulkier undergarments with you as compared to (non-crushed) neoprene.
But a neoprene suit is generally bulkier and heavier than a trilam ... so it's just a question of whether you want the bulk in the suit or the undergarment. And an undergarment like a Weezle packs down very small.

PS - you REALLY do want suspenders.
... you do if you plan to just partly take the suit off during surface interval. Around here it's common on SI to just get out of the upper part ... to relieve pressure from neck and wrist seals ... and leave the suit on. If you don't have suspenders, that's difficult to do ...

Also, I opted for Rock boots rather than turbo soles since if the rock boots wear out I can simply order new ones. If turbo soles wear out you need to ship them back to the factory.
Neo socks also wear out ... I've had three sets on my TLS350 so far, and the current set is in need of replacement.

Finally, large thigh pockets rock!
Got that straight ... I'd never order a drysuit without pockets ... I prefer the bellows style with velcro flap ... I've seen too many zippers break on that style ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom