what drysuit would you choose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My only solid advice would be: get suspenders, get boots built in.

I'd recommend rock boots (i.e., build in socks with boots you put on like tennis shoes) rather than turbo soles (i.e., truly build in boots).

Bare Nexgen, Bare Trilam HD and Fusion Tech. All are great. I own 2 of those.

Bare Nexgen - Very easy to put on with a back zipper. It's a bilam so it dries super fast. Very simple drysuit.

Bare Trilam HD - Also easy to put on with a self donning front zipper with the ATR feature. It's a trilam so you don't have to wear as much undergarment than the Nexgen and built a bit sturdier.

Fusion Tech - You either love it or hate it. I have to admit that it took a bit longer for me to put one on for the first time. But after doing it a couple times, it's fine. The Whites rep said it's like putting on (leg) panty hose stockings. :confused: This drysuit is pretty flexible and it hugs your body so if you have a weird body type, this suit is for you. No need to have a custom. You also feel like a power ranger with the cool front zipper. That alone should be one of your criterias.

I wear rockboots over neo. Definitely get suspenders and large pockets with velco. The zippers are too constricting and the zipper tabs break off.

The best thing to do is try on several types of drysuits and see which one is more comfortable to wear/dive.

Good luck!

I am in the process of getting my first drysuit myself. One thing that keeps coming up is the built in boots vs external boots (rock boots). I have seen strong opinions for both options. Can people comment on the reasons for each choice?

I am in the process of getting my first drysuit myself. One thing that keeps coming up is the built in boots vs external boots (rock boots). I have seen strong opinions for both options. Can people comment on the reasons for each choice?

It boils down to personal preference.

Built-in boots are more convenient, because you slip into the suit and you're done. With rock boots you have another pair of items to don once you're in your suit ... not to mention you have to remember to bring them with you when you pack.

The advantage of rock boots is that you can "customize" the style of boot to suit your needs. Basically any boot that will fit over the neoprene socks installed on the suit will do. Some people use regular rock boots like these. Others use wetsuit booties like these. And many will choose some sort of inexpensive cloth sneaker like these. So the biggest advantage, really, is your ability to choose the style and price range that suits your needs. And when they wear out, you simply purchase a new pair, rather than having to send your suit in for an expensive boot replacement.

Oh ... and there's way more different styles of built-in booties out there than turbo-soles ... which are, essentially, neoprene socks with hard soles glued on the bottom. There are advantages and disadvantages to turbo-sole type styles ... the biggest advantage being better performance for "finesse" kicking, and the disadvantage being they don't offer much support when walking around in your gear ... nor do they tend to wear as well as most other options (either standard built-in boots or rock boots).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, I think you have to be fair and admit that you had one of the early Fusions, with the narrow-cut arms and legs (they have since changed that). I periodically get frustrated with getting in and out of my Fusion, and then I wash the inner bag and spray it with SailKote, and it gets real easy to get in and out of again.

The advantage of the Fusion is that it doesn't have to fit. Most dive gear isn't made for women; the dry suits I know of that are made in a women's version are VERY expensive.

Lenaxia, with less than 24 dives, I don't think you have the experience to comment on the durability of a suit. I have owned three different dry suits and put several hundred dives on each of them -- The Fusion has proven to be FAR more durable than I expected it to be. In three years and about 400 dives, I've had two pinhole leaks in the suit, one of which I'm almost certain I caused when I put the p-valve in. Yes, the Lycra skin (and I have the original, Sport skin) has faded, and the piping is coming apart, but who cares? Neither of those things affects the functional capacity of the suit at all. Yes, the Fusion looks funky when you have it on, but I don't much care about that, either -- I want to be DRY, and I want to be mobile and comfortable, and the Fusion has done all of those things for me. I know lots of people who paid a great deal more for custom-built, high-end trilam suits that leak . . . and they can't even find the leaks in them!

I would warn very strongly against a custom suit, unless there is no other way to get one that works. Custom suits are great if you're lucky, and a nightmare if you're not, and they are VERY expensive.

A crushed or compressed neo suit will give additional insulation, but that was a suit I really found to be a pain to get in and out of, because it was heavy and stiff. My husband loves his (Bare CD2) but I like my Fusion!

They're pros/cons for the boots and it really depends on what you like. Me personally on My suit I have the attached boot. I liked the Idea of everything together and less to worry about. My G/F liked the Idea of Neo sock with rock boot.

The plus for the attached boot I see: The suit is together, less pieces to carry or something to forget. More room to add/reduce layers for comfort

The cons: Air can get into the boots easier and cause a run away ascent. If you wear out the boot from walking around you need to send suit out. I have about 60 dives on mine never had any issue with either above.

Pros for neo: Is less likely to get air trapped in foot as it's tighter, Neo provides natural insulation, If boot wears out order a cheap pair of Chuck taylors or just get a new pair of Rockboots.

Cons: Have to be carefull when getting suited up as you can punture a whole in neo sock, Thicker sock less room for layers, The Rock boots take some time dry. Extra piece of gear to carry.

I'm sure there are others this is just my opinon

I have owned and dove three types of suits. Trilam, crushed neo, and now a Fusion.

Trilam would be at the top of my list for ease and comfort. A DUI TLS350 is a tried and true drysuit with ease of donning and doffing. Turbo soles are awesome and much easier than dealing with shoes over the top of socks. The suit is light weight and very tough. Just try installing a pee-valve in one and you will understand.

Crushed neo like a DUI CF200 is the top of my list for durability. I did 200+ dives in a really old suit that is now my backup suit. Fairly flexible and heavy as heck when wet. Not the easiest to get into or out of though. Mine had Turbo Soles that I enjoyed using. I did have to put Aqua Seal on wearv points every once in a while, but they never leaked.

Fusion is the wave of future. Light weight, dries fairly quickly and the inside is quick to dry out. Valve drills were made easier, which really means I have more flexibility. The suit is streamlined in the water. Pretty easy to get on, but I struggle getting the feet out due to wearing a lot of undergarments. My suit has the grey inside. The Bullet is the skin to get as my Tech Skin LE does not have my favorite type of pockets.

Pockets are important on any drysuit and I will agree with what was posted above about a pocket that closes with velcro not a zipper.

#1 top of the list is an Otter Bay hood, no matter what drysuit you decide on. Otterbaysuits.com Homepage

Lenaxia, with less than 24 dives, I don't think you have the experience to comment on the durability of a suit. I have owned three different dry suits and put several hundred dives on each of them -- The Fusion has proven to be FAR more durable than I expected it to be. In three years and about 400 dives, I've had two pinhole leaks in the suit, one of which I'm almost certain I caused when I put the p-valve in. Yes, the Lycra skin (and I have the original, Sport skin) has faded, and the piping is coming apart, but who cares? Neither of those things affects the functional capacity of the suit at all. Yes, the Fusion looks funky when you have it on, but I don't much care about that, either -- I want to be DRY, and I want to be mobile and comfortable, and the Fusion has done all of those things for me. I know lots of people who paid a great deal more for custom-built, high-end trilam suits that leak . . . and they can't even find the leaks in them!

I concede that point about my rather lack of experience and like I said, my opinion of the durability of fusions is purely speculation. It's a great design and a very innovative concept, and I'm certain I'd be happy with it had I gotten it, but something just did not sit right with me about how it worked. Whether or not that feeling holds up and my drysuit stays dry has yet to be seen.

Another bonus to external boots is that you can, to a certain extent, size the boot to match the fin.

Can you Fusion owners comment on how easy it is to layer with the fusion? I dive cold water and chill very easily, so I'd REALLY like to pack in something like a weezle in there (so for any drysuit I'd normally go the larger if I'm in-between). OTOH the same drysuit would be used to dive Florida springs with little underwear. It seems to me that the design of the Fusion should be able to handle both?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom