What does your flag look like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

offroaddiver

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I was inspired by another post about a diver being hit by a pleasure boater.

I have been operating a boat in open waters and noticed how hard it is to see smaller items ie. drift wood, debris, dive flags!!! etc. The travel ones with the smaller flags are especially hard to see....really hard to see when heading into the wind. I remember having a close call when a boater noticed my designated dive buddy waving our flag.

I remember seeing another diver with a 4 sided flag but haven't seen one for sale. The language barier kept me from finding out about his flag. I've seen these river tube looking floats online but they aren't that tall.

I've helped the DM on a boat find people and even if they have a tube it's a pain to find a stick in a plain if you catch what I'm saying. I dive in the "big blue" about once a year. And I'd like to be safe next time I'm diving in open waters.

I'm gonna try and build a dive flag that's easily seen from any direction. Go take your flag to a park and walk 100 feet away in an angle from the flag and you'll see what I mean. I'll post a few of my experiments that I'm trying to work on.

Included in my experiments are....
The above mentioned dive flag
A lobster stick that can be folded or rather undone so it will fit in a BCD
A portable drying rack for that spare bathroom to dry my gear
A tank carrier and rack so I don't have to pay for someone else's idea and it doesn't fit my needs.
And other goodies I haven't figured out quite how to make it work.

Till we meet again....

My flag has reflected strips attached to the white stripe on both sides. The only legal night dive flag in Connecticut ?

offroaddiver:
I remember seeing another diver with a 4 sided flag but haven't seen one for sale. The language barier kept me from finding out about his flag. I've seen these river tube looking floats online but they aren't that tall.

Ever think of making your own? Get some PVC pipe, cut it to size, couple 90 degree connectors. Four flags, attatch the flags to each side of the PVC square. Attatch another piece of PVC to the bottom of the flag to keep it more visible. Hey I may have a new project in the next few months.

ktrjc:
Ever think of making your own? Get some PVC pipe, cut it to size, couple 90 degree connectors. Four flags, attatch the flags to each side of the PVC square. Attatch another piece of PVC to the bottom of the flag to keep it more visible. Hey I may have a new project in the next few months.

Three in a triangle would be just as effective. You might have trouble locating the 60° couplers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom