What do you pay for air, and where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waterskier1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I picked my tanks up from my LDS, and they are charging $10/tank for air. (I actually picked them up a couple weeks ago, but ScubaBoard was down so I couldn't post this). Is this about what the rest of you pay? The reason I ask is, this is more than they rent a tank full of air. :huh:
Yes, I can rent (for a day) a tank with air for less than I pay to fill my own tanks. :confused:
Their rationale is that they just bought a new compressor, and they are expensive. While this is true, that seems part of doing business. :shakehead
I know geographic locality may make a difference, as well as customer volume, but didn't think the dive industry prices within a locality would vary that much due soley to overhead costs. Is this normal? Is there an "average" or generally accepted "fair" price for air along the front range? I haven't checked any other LDS. I thought I'd get your thoughts here.
I'm told they used to charge $5/tank before, and doubling the price seems a lot, so I'm curious what you pay and where they are located. :popcorn:
I live in Colorado Springs, but all my "local" diving has been Denver and New Mexico, so I could just as easy fill my tanks before/after I dive as doing it here. :coffee:
I know it's a small amount of money, as far as scuba diving goes, but every penny I pinch is one I can spend diving in warm water :D

I've only had fills from two shops so far, but one is $12/fill for any tank, and the other is $8/lp and $9/hp fills. This is in central Maryland. Haven't tried any of the other shops that are within easy driving distance yet...

I've seen anywhere from $4 to $12 at shops that charge for air fills. Currently, I either use a fill card I got as a gift, or I go to the LDS that provides free fills. I haven't paid for air in years.

This topic has been discussed in the past, but here in Ohio you can expect to pay anywhere between $5-10/fill.

Wow, several quick replys to this, but all of you are 100's of miles away! I did do a search of this topic, in this RMO forum, and didn't find anything. I have heard of "fill cards" in popular diving locations, but I am not aware of any shop along the front range offering such. Nor am I aware of any offering free air (other than with classes you take from them). If I'm wrong, please set me straight!

Here in the Denver area the best deal seems to be Gander Mountain in Aurora. I believe I paid $4.00. Other shops it's $4.75- $8.00

Johnson's in Portland Maine, you buy a 100 fill card and it comes to $2.25 per fill. $4 dollars if you pay on a per fill basis.

one place nearby fills for free (yes, that is free); another place fills for $6 or $8, i don't remember exactly. to rent a full tank is $12 in both places.

$4 in WV

for many places here in Ohio (yes I've already responded once) instructors get their fills for free (as mentioned in the above post) if they are bringing in a class. Likewise with their diving/entrance fees.

Just one of the small perks, I suppose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom