• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

What do you love and what do you hate about your unit?

Discussion in 'Rebreather Diving' started by alex_nr, Jul 22, 2020.

1. taimen

taimen ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Conceptually that should work and is definitely worth trying. Floaty sand might be a problem. I have usually had problems after hitting something like chippy mine ceiling or a rusty door frame.

2. sunnyboy

sunnyboy Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    One rebreather owner here. Bought a Prism Topaz back in 2007. Have been diving it ever since. I did immediately after training swap the BCD for a backplate & wing (from my doubles which I then sold). Got an armadillo butt plate around 2008 and have sidemounted my bailout ever since. Otherwise, no real changes to the basic rebreather.

Likes: pretty much everything about it, but especially the secondary that shows PO2 even with the unit powered off.

Dislikes: After 13 years diving the Topaz, I've had to replace some things, like a couple of HP hoses, the LP O2 fitting, some o-rings, sensors, and other misc. bits. Also had to have my switch replaced this year (reed switch failed) and I had a bad wire in one secondary (I have two Prisms so I have spares if needed). I also lost the back cover on a bad current dive once, but found it a week later on a subsequent dive.

I only ever called two dives on the unit due to gear failure. One early in my diving with it I let a minor failure in the negative test go by, and ended up calling the dive at the start in 4ft of water when the bubbles said "nope". Second lost dive was when the HP hose failed. It was fine in pre-dive, fine gearing up on the truck, but when I got in the water it just started to "fizz". Called the dive.

Otherwise I absolutely love my Prism Topaz.

3. king_of_battle

king_of_battle Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Not to sway you from Revo but it seems pretty simple to invert the tanks on a fathom. Flip the tank brackets and change out the regulator hose lengths and you are good to go. Only hazard may be it lacking a stand and protecting the tank valves/regulators, but that could probably be accomplished by hiking them up the unit until the base of the can is the lowest point. Can't say what that would do to trim though.

shoredivr likes this.
  4. bubblemonkey2

bubblemonkey2 Marine Scientist

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Stock JJ-CCR (Mfg 12/2019)

Love:
    Seems to incorporate good features from numerous predecessors
    Not overly complicated, for a modern eCCR
    Not too dolled up
    Modularity / not overly proprietary or "tiered"
    Seems durable
    The stand is great
    Enough out there that info/parts/support are available
    I put my Halcyon carbon backplate/harness on it, instead of the steel one, to make it lighter for travel/warm water

Challenges:
    ADV feels stiff, or else fires too easily if my trim is intentionally head-down. Often I turn it off and use my dil MAV.
    My stock HUD likes to turn itself on at fairly random times while dry on the surface, and occasionally reboots itself while diving (haven't bothered fixing yet)
    Sensors easily exposed to condensation moisture. Beware laying it down between dives, or too many somersaults while diving
    I managed to mis-thread one of the smallish screw-on MAV hose fittings fairly easily. Take care with them when washing/servicing counterlungs etc
    The head is quite bulky (albeit solid)
    I was told someone managed to slice the tip of their finger off while removing the head, by getting it stuck in the button hole pointing the wrong direction. It's now part of the training course I think

5. rddvet

rddvet DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Valves up are a nonissue anyway. If you can dive doubles, the fathom's the same. But I agree you could also fliop tanks if it suits you. I really like valves up. Makes diving with OC people easy if they're used to doubles.

6. king_of_battle

king_of_battle Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I agree wholeheartedly - I haven't had an issue with valves up at all. Canting them a little makes valve shutdowns easy. The only minor gripe with valves up is that I either have to have a dedicated 'wreck' O2 bottle with a left handed valve or switch valves on a bottle when I switch configurations. At this point I have dedicated bottles but I'm in the wreck configuration a lot less than I thought I would be so those bottles may go back to having a right side valve soon.

So... First World Problems.

7. BabyDuck

BabyDuck Rebreather Pilot

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I just did crossover last week from sidekick to sidewinder and didn’t have any problems with wet sorb, even after scootering. I totally realize I have like 10 hours on it, but seems that’s when problems like that would crop up, when you’re learning a new configuration.

I really liked it. I could make the sidekick look ok, but I was working the whole time because of the side to side imbalance and it never felt good. The sidewinder dives were relaxing again.

8. kensuf

kensuf Cave Instructor

@king_of_battle's wife may have Chelsea beat for smallest person on a Fathom. It's close, and I came back from working with them and had a talk with Charlie about offering a smaller size. Of course, things changed in the world since then so not sure what we have in terms of priorities.

9. kensuf

kensuf Cave Instructor

They're very strong. I've sometimes had to fidget with them to get them to loosen up. I dive both fresh/saltwater on the unit.

10. kensuf

kensuf Cave Instructor

Dude, 9 sets? You've got a problem. :p