What do you look for in a regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm switching over to Dive Rite regs. Parts availability is the
Main reason.They are good regulators, and I want to standardize all of my regs.
People seem to be very happy with HOG regs. But I'm going with Dive Rite for a variety of reasons.
I've had Aqualung before, and currently have Scubapro. The inability to buy parts kits is kind of irritating, as is their "free parts" program.
-Mitch

why the free parts programme irritating

If you go beyond the 1 year mark, you no longer get the "free parts". From then on out you have to pay for parts and service, which can cost around $90. This is more than the service my wife pays for Poseidon regulators.
This has not happened to me. Due to travel, I've cut it close on the service in the past.
A friend of mine just had to pay over $90 for a Mk25/S600. So much for free parts.
This program sort of locks you in to the annual service, whether the reg needs it or not. If you miss it, you're then free to get it serviced at whatever interval you'd like. But it'll cost more.
I've brought my regs in for service even when the Intermediate pressure was fine, just to stay current with the free parts program.
Poseidon regulators have a 2 year service interval, my wife owns 4 of them. My friends new Scubapro cost is now higher than what my wife pays for her Poseidons.
As I'm buying more regulators, this is becoming more of an issue. I just bought a Dive Rite reg, in a couple of months I'll be getting a few more. I'll probably end up changing everything over to Dive Rite.
That being said, I love my Scuba Pro regs.

-Mitch

If you're looking for a deal, you should buy a used reg.

Your choices of the zeagle envoy or aqualung titan are good; they are frequently mentioned as best buys in regulators.

It's tough to buy a bad regulator these days, and anything you buy will work quite well for recreational diving if it's serviced and adjusted correctly (that's the tough part) and you stay out of very cold water, like sub 40F.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom