What do you like to eat for pre-dive and surface interval food?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We never have a special diet for diving. Here in Asia breakfast can mean anything from bacon and eggs to rice and fish. I do like fruit during an SI though if there is not a restaurant around.

breakfast :a couple of bagles, cream cheese and lox, water, water and another bottle of water, and then a cup of coffee( gotta keep the wet suit warm)
SI : gyro,pita and hummus

Fresh pineapple during the SI at Molokini Crater off Maui. Anyone know how they carve the pineapple there?

I like protien bars, my personal fav's are the zone bars from costco. They are easy to store in your dive bag, and help give me extra energy.

Retro:
Fresh pineapple during the SI at Molokini Crater off Maui. Anyone know how they carve the pineapple there?

I know how they do it on Oahu, do they serve it in the rhine on Maui?

In the morning things that won’t aggravate the gut. In my case, it’s either god old oatmeal or bowl of cereal and maybe some toast and banana. I am not big on breakfasts but on diving days I try to eat a bit more than usual.

For SI, we make sandwiches with something pretty mellow like cheddar + cucumber and maybe yesterday’s chicken. Pack a yogurt, another banana, a choc bar, and if it’s cold season a thermos full of tea or hot choc. Raisins, dried apricots are great too. Our dive sites aren’t next to shops and kiosks, so I like to have options. If I don’t eat from the cooler on SI, I’ll eat them on the ride back home.

diver 85:
A little bit of this is GOOD---anytime, anywhere........
Hmm... you bring up an interesting idea. Would eating a few cobs of crawfish boil corn make my lips burn enough to keep them warm during a subsequent 50-ish-degree dive? (Too bad I'm originally a cheesehead, or I'd have to try it myself.)

As for what to eat during a surface interval, you can't argue with ginger snaps on a boat. :D

Retro:

With a knife???.....:)

I like to hydrate with a mix of gatorade and water per what I took to be well reasoned advice from Tom Mount of IANTD, but practically speaking I'm more likely to have regular water with me, and I'm fine with that. If I have a long early morning drive to the dive site or boat, I'll often have a cup of coffee on the way, and if I stop for a cup I might grab a muffin.

I got a microwaved sausage and egg breakfast sandwich from a convenience store before a choppy boat ride out to Block Island once, but there wasn't any breakfast left in my by the time we got to the wreck we were diving (the Idene, I think). I now avoid greasy food pre-dive, or at least pre-diveboat. Really, I think a light, healthy meal first is best both for the dive and my general well-being, and fruit is probably my favorite food to bring along for a SI snack.

My absolute favorite SI food has to be freshly shucked raw sea scallops harvested on the first dive. Delicious!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom