What do you like to eat for pre-dive and surface interval food?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderSeaBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
What have you found to be the best food to eat prior to getting in the water for the day and during the surface intervals.

I like to drink Gatoraide Rain and have some mandrin oranges during the SI. I am not sure that is the best thing, but I like them and it makes me feel refreshed. And when Reefraff2 joins us at Jocassee, he always brings a spread and cooks a hot meal for us. And let me tell you that boy can cook.

So what have you seasoned salts found to be the best diving food? --- From something simple you can toss into a cooler to a spread??

In the mornings, usually a non-greasy breakfast of eggs, toast, and coffee. I avoid syrupy things like French toast, fruits like watermelon or cantalope, and definitely nothing with jalapenos! Stuff like that gets revenge on me, around 60'. *shudder*

As for SI, I usually don't eat anything, but mandarin oranges sound tasty! :)

Those packages of 6 peanut butter & Ritz crackers will tide me over if I have the muchies going into a dive or on the SI. If I think I'll be someplace remote or really hungry I'll bring along a PB&J Sandwich or 2. Poland Spring bottled water is the beverage of choice.

As a post dive or SI treat those Hostess orange cupcakes really go down nice aginast the salty aftertaste of ocean water.

For morning dives I eat first thing when I wake up to let the GI tract to do it's thing predive. Cereals, toast or a big tumbler of ovaltine. No heavy greasy stuff.

Pete

I think the best surface interval food I've had yet was on the boats at Tasik Ria in Indonesia. They would bring out all these crockpots full of Indonesia food -- spicy fried noodles, curried fish -- and it was WONDERFUL.

At home, the boats have chicken noodle soup, and that's pretty good, too, when you've just climbed out of 46 degree water.

If I'm shore diving, we rarely eat during surface interval. And the post-dive indulgence is green tea at Cove 2, or Starbucks anywhere else. It is Seattle, after all. :)

P.S. Stopping off at McDonald's on your way to the quarry, is a good way to have a huge "emergency" during your second dive, necessitating swimming like an Olympian to make it to shore, doing the Wetsuit Tango as you struggle to doff your gear, and then sprinting for the porta-potty.

er.... not that I'm speaking from experience, or anything.... *ahem*

Seemingly anything. I've never had any problems after eating a normal, good sized breakfast. Sandwiches for the SI with fruit or snacks. Lots of water only to drink.

On one surface interval, the Lois Ann served up a tub of hot caramel sauce with green apple slices to dip in it ... was heavenly after diving in cold water, all of us there remember it fondly :)

leah:
What have you found to be the best food to eat prior to getting in the water for the day and during the surface intervals.

I like to drink Gatoraide Rain and have some mandrin oranges during the SI. I am not sure that is the best thing, but I like them and it makes me feel refreshed. And when Reefraff2 joins us at Jocassee, he always brings a spread and cooks a hot meal for us. And let me tell you that boy can cook.

So what have you seasoned salts found to be the best diving food? --- From something simple you can toss into a cooler to a spread??

A little bit of this is GOOD---anytime, anywhere........
low_Boiledc1.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom