What do you gain by going with a "high end" regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XxMerlinxX

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My personal reg is an Aeris Ion, IMHO it's a great reg and has more than surpassed my expectations. If I leave it wide open, it's like it's shoving air down into my lungs, the breathing on it is that easy. It's also environmentally sealed, fairly light, there's really not anything negative that I can say about it. Browsing around Scubatoys, I see an Atomic T2x for $1600! :confused: What do you gain by going with something like this instead? I get that it's titanium, so it's going to be lighter, but it's not THAT much lighter. Are there extra features that justify this outrageous price? And what about other regs that are in the $700-$800 range like from Scubapro or Apeks?

In addition to the features you've already noticed, there'll probably be some improvements in breathing/air delivery performance - but those are inconsequential unless you'll be doing significantly deep/exerted diving.

Regulators are like cars. You pay more for the high performance models, but they are also more expensive to maintain and because they are more highly engineered, are more susceptible to have issues if not regularly maintained.

But unless you plan to push the limits, it is not likely that you will ever really appreciate the difference. Except they look good in your driveway / dive bag.

When I dive twinsets, I use two different regulators* - a high performance Sherwood SR1, and an extremely rugged low performance Sherwood Brut. Breathing off both at 160 feet, or whilst working hard, is a very different experience. Breathing off both at about 70 feet finning gently over a reef you can't tell much difference.

* Yes, I know that is not recommended. Stop lecturing me.

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

I am too slow again. What Andy said above.

The higher priced regs of the same model usually add cold water adaptations and user cracking pressure adjustability but nothing to the gas flow performance.

Regulators are like cars. You pay more for the high performance models, but they are also more expensive to maintain and because they are more highly engineered, are more susceptible to have issues if not regularly maintained.

At least for Atomics that is not the case. The servicing on the T2X is the same as the Z2. Completely inter-chanagable. Not sure how true that is for other mfg. The other is that also with Atomic regs is that the T2X performs just as good as the Z2.

The spiff with Ti is yes it is lighter but the OP is correct not that much. Also there is a corrosion factor which Ti does not have but a chrome plated does. However, if you regularly soak a chrome plated reg after diving it will last just as long. And by soak I mean a 1 hour soaks to let the salts dissolve/diffuse out.

In some ways Atomic is an odd ball - their high end reg is just as good as their low end. But they lots of high end regs. Why? as said above bragging rights.

Last edited:
WHat you really gain is a lighter wallet and smaller bank account. Otherwise the difference between a $275 reg like a HOG D-1 and a $830.00 Mk25 A700 has been said by some of my customers to be that you don't need tools to take the faceplate off the HOG second.

Like stereos or fine wines, some appreciate quality and we call them connoisseurs. That being said, some people just want to crank up the music really loud and get drunk on Mad Dog 20-20. Who's right? It kind of depends on your perspective in life. Neither side really understands or cares for the other. Me? I love the ease of a sweet breathing reg. I also hold reliability and ease of service in high regard. I love my Atomic M1s but I also have a place for my Hogs too. My favorite breathing reg is an Apex, but I have never been able to afford one. I don't like regs that shove air down my throat or make me work for it either. There's a fine line and those high end regs seem to work better, longer and with less hassle.

My take is to get the best equipment you can afford that works for YOU. I still own my original pair of Jet Fins I bought from Hal Watts back in 1969 in his shop on Colonial Ave in Orlando. It was the best available back then, and I was criticized for spending so much money. As a mechanic, I learned that the difference between a Snap On and Craftsman tool was a lot more than simply price. We are given one chance to get a fastener off cleanly. The more rusted the bolt, the bigger the difference that Snap On tool created. There's often a big difference between "good enough" and excellent. Only you can decide how much you can vary from your ideal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom