What do you do over the winter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been in contact with my instructor and we're just figuring out dates for pool work. She said she loves a motivated student. :D Cancelling Gilboa trip so I can get my buoyancy and kicks worked over the water and be ready to go full bore next season.

...//... She said she loves a motivated student. :D ...//...
She sounds great at first blush.

Just remember that it is all about the skills that YOU acquire and keep for yourself.

---> If you paid the money, you need to learn something.

Nothing to do with impressing an instructor with how well you follow instructions. Or even worse yet, you pay your money, show up and only suffer their assessment.

She sounds great at first blush.

Just remember that it is all about the skills that YOU acquire and keep for yourself.

---> If you paid the money, you need to learn something.

Nothing to do with impressing an instructor with how well you follow instructions. Or even worse yet, you pay your money, show up and only suffer their assessment.

Yeah, well, I'm having issues and I'm working to correct them. I've seen divers at the local quarry that just plow the bottom when I've been told they're supposedly "experienced." I'm not going to be that diver. Just like I had to work at the shooting to get good, I'll do the same with diving. That's what instructor meant by motivated. Has nothing to do with impressing an instructor. I could stay a diver with issues and manage not to kill myself, but I'm not satisfied with that.

Last edited:
Yeah, well, same here.

Two of my instructors were truly exceptional. What is it that makes an instructor exceptional? They watch you like a hawk and correct every G*****n thing that you do wrong. Bust you for it. Hard.

You caught me in an odd mood. I would love to see you succeed. Choose your instructor wisely. If you can't figure him/her out then take a pass.

Edd Sorenson/Jim Lapenta. Ooooh. That slipped out. Nevermind...

Yeah, well, same here.

Two of my instructors were truly exceptional. What is it that makes an instructor exceptional? They watch you like a hawk and correct every G*****n thing that you do wrong. Bust you for it. Hard.

You caught me in an odd mood. I would love to see you succeed. Choose your instructor wisely. If you can't figure him/her out then take a pass.

Edd Sorenson/Jim Lapenta. Ooooh. That slipped out. Nevermind...

Instructor busts my butt already. A friend has already recommended Jim (she's had a class with him) and he's a FB friend who has actually told me to contact him if I thought I would be out his way.

Yeah, had a wonderful experience with him. Keep your expectations in check. You will progress at your given rate. Jim won't make you a hero from zero. Kick back and enjoy the ride.

This is a message from the beyond: 500 psi for two divers?

It is my honor to share it...

Yeah, had a wonderful experience with him. Keep your expectations in check. You will progress at your given rate. Jim won't make you a hero from zero. Kick back and enjoy the ride.

This is a message from the beyond: 500 psi for two divers?

It is my honor to share it...

I love reading Lynne's posts. The stories from her OW class make me howl with laughter. Plus, they give me hope.

ETA: who knows if I'll take a class with Jim. He's 3 states away. Not exactly local.

Last edited:
I love reading Lynne's posts. The stories from her OW class make me howl with laughter. Plus, they give me hope. ...
She heard that! I know she did...

...//... ETA: who knows if I'll take a class with Jim. He's 3 states away. Not exactly local.
He's on the border, more like two states. :wink:

No biggie. Look at it as a mind splinter. "Maybe I will do that someday when it fits into my real life. Yah, I'll do that someday just to scratch that itch and pull it out..." I actually did.

Full disclosure: Anything in this for me? No.

I took his Diver Rescue and Accident Management course way back in 8/11. Had fun, made a friend who remains to this day.

You know you wanna...

image.jpg
What do I do over the winter? I dive.

Back
Top Bottom