What do you do over the winter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...//... and find that it takes you quite a while to get down there, feeling like you're free falling the whole time. ...//...
My post was, admittedly, a bit sardonic. But you make a really good point. I've gotten lost in freefalling in the past. You really get a wake-up call when you snap out of it and realize how much gas it takes for you to keep from becoming a dirt dart...

My post was, admittedly, a bit sardonic. But you make a really good point. I've gotten lost in freefalling in the past. You really get a wake-up call when you snap out of it and realize how much gas it takes for you to keep from becoming a dirt dart...

Yup. I've needed some surprisingly long shots on my inflator to get neutral after a long descent.

dream about diving, sometimes brave the cold water and actually dive. read up on diving. take my specialty courses... search for dive destinations (and then figure a way to pay for them)

but i usually end up hitting the keys and its still chilly -- first time i did it in just a 3/2 -- NEVER again. LOL

Last edited:
I don't really know anyone else who would want to do it
its not that bad once you get past the first 15 mins. LOL

Lake Michigan? Your profile pic says you're near Chicago...
Im from the Chicago and have dove LM in Feb, March and April and its frickin cold !!!! But now I live along the coast and hit florida - still a bit chilly but not as bad as LM

All the boats have been pulled out of the water and I don't know anyone who shore dives Lake Michigan.
I can honestly say that I have done a shore dive there -- not as much fun when you have to walk out on half mile of shelf ice. dangerous as hell though.

I installed a heated 12,000 gal 20' deep 10' round indoor dive pool in my front yard....:)

Jim...
I wanna come LOL

I still dive, just alot less because I'm out celebrating the holidays. If I lived on the coast, and not inland the of course I would still dive more. I'll be doing a santa dive, pretty excited about that. More dives like those should be offered

One more Nova Scotia dive (water was 48F yesterday), then 2 months in Destin, FL, where it will be around 57F (like our summer). Then back here to meet wet diving with 30s temps. (HOPEFULLY high 30s).

One more Nova Scotia dive (water was 48F yesterday), then 2 months in Destin, FL, where it will be around 57F (like our summer). Then back here to meet wet diving with 30s temps. (HOPEFULLY high 30s).

Do you at least dump warm water in your wetsuit before getting in.. :wink:

Jim...

48 to 30s F (i.e. sub-10C) and wetsuit? :eek: No effing way, thankyouverymuch.

If you like your cojones stuck way up there, with no chance of them descending into sight before New Year's Eve, knock yourself out and by all means dive wet. Me, I don't think that 's a very attractive prospect, so I'll continue to recommend a drysuit to anyone diving sub-10C (sub-50F) water.

BTW, my club arranged their annual Xmas tree dive last weekend. I wore a drysuit, drygloves and a Waterproof 10/5mm hood. Under the DS I wore a nice, warm undersuit, a wool wicking layer, one long and one short sleeve wool T-shirt, and two pairs of wool socks (one pair the thickness of tennis socks, one thick pair). I changed at home and showed up at the site wearing the wool and my undersuit, like I usually do for local dives. I was toasty warm all the time. Granted, it was mild: 6C air, 7C water. Quite balmy, in fact. But I still wouldn't have done that dive wet.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom