What do you do over the winter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Changing into / out of the undergarments in minus degrees C is not fun, esp. if there's a wind. Today the big shock was after the dive when I took the hood off. Brrrrr!
So don't :cool:

In Alberta we used to drive to Nov/Dec diving plus Feb ice diving in the undergarment so you only had to don the drysuit. If this cold weather remains long, I may start doing
That's what I do :)

For day trips I drive to and from the site in my undersuit, thick wool socks and crocs. Unless it's a warm summer day, then I get too hot.

It isn't pretty, but it's comfy and practical.

I see by the Sydney temperature tables that your June low is 55F. So you must dive year round because you always have summer.....
No idea what 55F equals, but water temperature low is normally 15C, but this year never really got below 17C. Did not even need to use my drysuit.

We complain about winter being cold, but in reality, it is warmer than northern England and Scotland summers!

No idea what 55F equals, but water temperature low is normally 15C, but this year never really got below 17C. Did not even need to use my drysuit.
That's stupid cold (for me) Drysuit goes on when water temp hits 24C on the surface - I'm always snug especially on the boat ride back where everyone else is wrapped in towels :)

That's stupid cold (for me) Drysuit goes on when water temp hits 24C on the surface - I'm always snug especially on the boat ride back where everyone else is wrapped in towels :)
24C for me is 3mm or shorts & rash vest. 7mm wetsuit for UK diving @ 8-15C.

Going for a dry suit after Xmas (present to myself :yeahbaby:)so with that I should be good from about 0C up with the right selection of undies (will be good as I hope to dive next year at Silfra).

The water temps are pretty constant here - from lows of 46F in winter to highs of 52F in summer. It's drysuit weather for most of us all the time. The difference is whether you take the heated vest or not. (or whether you turn it on or not, really) :)

There are some hardy types who dive wetsuits here, but not me.

I put on a warmer socks and a thicker undersuit, I use a DS evrn in summer, I dive in the North Sea mostly and it's never warm.
OK, to be honest I hardly dive at all in the winter, it's miserable on the North East Coast.

we keep diving. Prince William Sound shore dive or boat out of Seward into Resurrection Bay (the boat captain does year round charters). I volunteer to help clean the habitats at the Alaska Sea Life Center. Its cold water surrounded by a warm building.

^^ What he said. Lots of us consider winter the peak dive season because the shore diving is better and it generally takes less effort to go diving.

I will generally switch to doing one very long dive during the coldest winter months. I've found that I stay warmer and get the same amount of bottom time, if not more, than splitting it between two dives with a chilly surface interval in between.

Got a gym membership for the pool. I've done 350 yards/320 meters the past two days. My arse hurts. :D I seem to be he entertainment for those in the hot tub as I'm kitted out with mask, snorkel, and fins, plus using a kick board. I have to explain multiple times I'm a diver.

Reactions: tep
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom