What do people do for luggage insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have DAN insurance? If so, look into the coverage.

I don't know how Canadians airlines handle that... but in the US you can always check a cheap handgun in the luggage. The airline won't be keen on losing that bag ;-)

Between my rebreather, dry suit, regs, and other gear I probably have close to $20k of gear I travel with (and when I add in a camera rig that will bump up even more). I can move some of the small expensive bits to my carry-on (computers, transmitters), but there's still an awful lot of money in that suitcase. If an airline loses it, the amount they reimburse won't come close to the value. And as far as I can tell travel insurance policies have max limits in the $2000-$3000 ranges.

Has anybody got a good solution to this problem?

My ex use to work for State Farm and knew all the ins and outs and fine print of insurance that most of us just glance over. So I found that the best way to insure your gear is an add on to you home owners/rental policy. State Farm has what they call a Personal Artifacts Policy (PAP) and I'm sure all the other big names have the same thing and just call it another fancy sales name.

I use to shoot wildlife photography and owed maybe $40k worth of camera gear mostly in big L glass and traveled a lot with it so I was very worried about theft/damage during airline travel, or theft from hotel rooms in third world countries. For your PAP all you do is submit an itemized list of what you want insured (literally can be anything however some things like jewelry, antiques etc. will require an appraisal) and the value and then its insured and it is good anywhere in the world. I found that the State Farm PAP was the cheapest and best way to insure that I found, I was paying about $500 a year for the PAP for $40k worth of gear. I personally had my laptop stolen in Cambodia luckily I had this on my PAP and it was fully coved I was sent a check with in a week if I remember correctly. Surprising not a lot of question asked from State Farm. Also the very nice thing about this policy is there was no deductible and it does not affect your home owners policy if you make a claim on it. In my opinion this is the best part about the policy, normally if you just had a $1500 laptop stolen you would just bite the bullet its not worth paying the $1000 deducible to file a home owners claim and then have your home owners policy premiums sky rocket the next year.

My ex use to work for State Farm and knew all the ins and outs and fine print of insurance that most of us just glance over. So I found that the best way to insure your gear is an add on to you home owners/rental policy. State Farm has what they call a Personal Artifacts Policy (PAP) and I'm sure all the other big names have the same thing and just call it another fancy sales name.

I use to shoot wildlife photography and owed maybe $40k worth of camera gear mostly in big L glass and traveled a lot with it so I was very worried about theft/damage during airline travel, or theft from hotel rooms in third world countries. For your PAP all you do is submit an itemized list of what you want insured (literally can be anything however some things like jewelry, antiques etc. will require an appraisal) and the value and then its insured and it is good anywhere in the world. I found that the State Farm PAP was the cheapest and best way to insure that I found, I was paying about $500 a year for the PAP for $40k worth of gear. I personally had my laptop stolen in Cambodia luckily I had this on my PAP and it was fully coved I was sent a check with in a week if I remember correctly. Surprising not a lot of question asked from State Farm. Also the very nice thing about this policy is there was no deductible and it does not affect your home owners policy if you make a claim on it. In my opinion this is the best part about the policy, normally if you just had a $1500 laptop stolen you would just bite the bullet its not worth paying the $1000 deducible to file a home owners claim and then have your home owners policy premiums sky rocket the next year.

Great info thank you, goes straight into my SB bookmarks.

Somebody please convince State Farm to open European branch xD

Back
Top Bottom