What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quero:
3) Camaro 4mm Titanium semi-dry wetsuit--an expensive wetsuit bought at an exhibit discount at a dive show; I tried it on, it seemed to fit, but later found that it chokes me when I'm climbing a ladder back onto a boat to the point that I vomit. I've decided it's too short in the legs or torso or something. Even tried to have the neck altered, but that didn't help enough. Now it lives in the leftover gear section of my storage room.

Disclaimer: Before I start: I am not saying negative things about women. I love women. They rule. I could not live without them. They are, however, very different from men. Not better, not worse, just different. There.

When I read this part of the post I knew your gender. so, here is my question: Why is it that many (not all, just many) women have issues with feeling like they are choking?

I do not think it is made up, I believe you really feel it. I think it is legitimate. My wife, mom, and mother in law all hate seatbelts because they feel like they are getting choked, and many of my female patients feel like the hospital gowns choke them.

Does anyone have any insight? I am trying to learn something about the fairer sex here...

Thanks!

Can't give you any insight, other than to say count me in that category. Thankfully the top attachment point of most seatbelts is adjustable now. The top strap of some BCs bothers me, too. My wetsuits both have front zip closures so I can alleviate the choking sensation by unzipping a tad; once I'm underwater, I'm fine with them zipped all the way. I figured it was along the lines of the completely unreasonable reactions I have to a couple other situations that I have found out are learned behaviors directly related to some incidents in my early childhood.

I have a question about men, with the same disclaimer. What is the deal with men griping about tags in T-shirts? I thought it was just my husband until Hanes came out with the tagless T comercial ("See! I'm NOT the only one!!"). Most tags don't bother me, but just about any tag will have my husband climbing walls.

One of those hockey puck style octos;
A Seaquest combo octo/power inflator;
Scubapro X650 (wheezed like an old man);
All of the stupid little sales revenue generating gadgets that the LDS says you need but really don't (octo retainers, tank nets, gauge retainers...)
And annual service on regulators (that had not even been used) just to keep the warranty in effect (Scubapro).

The best thing I have purchased: My Atomic M1s, BP/Wing and steel tanks (although the tanks may move to the list above if PST doesn't get it's *!%# together under new ownership.

DivingCRNA:
Disclaimer: Before I start: I am not saying negative things about women. I love women. They rule. I could not live without them. They are, however, very different from men. Not better, not worse, just different. There.

When I read this part of the post I knew your gender. so, here is my question: Why is it that many (not all, just many) women have issues with feeling like they are choking?

I do not think it is made up, I believe you really feel it. I think it is legitimate. My wife, mom, and mother in law all hate seatbelts because they feel like they are getting choked, and many of my female patients feel like the hospital gowns choke them.

Does anyone have any insight? I am trying to learn something about the fairer sex here...

Thanks!
Here is my insight to alleivate your lack of insight, on this insight matter:

Most everything in the world is made specifically for the average american male. Unless you are buying a Toyota then those are made for the average Japanese male. Well, at least that is my experience. So for those who are under or over 5'10" you are just going to have to deal with being uncomfortable.

pj5:
I have a question about men, with the same disclaimer. What is the deal with men griping about tags in T-shirts? I thought it was just my husband until Hanes came out with the tagless T comercial ("See! I'm NOT the only one!!"). Most tags don't bother me, but just about any tag will have my husband climbing walls.

For me they itch and scratch while I am wearing them. The fabric tags are not nearly as annoying as the paper ones. I love my tagless hanes too. :D

The big knife. Wish the training agencies would switch the rqts to shears and a line cutter.

The dive rattles. They were huge, and heavy. Didn't even bother taking them on the trip we bought them for. Instead, we attached our house key to one and gave it to my mom (who was housesitting). She reported that she did not ever have a problem finding the house key (unusual), and that it took my dad about half a week to figure out what the heck it was (Bwahahahaha!).

The Mares HUB. It's okay once I'm in the water, it's just too darn heavy when I'm not. I should have shopped around more before buying, but I let my husband decide for me (I was too busy to deal with it at the time).

And a near miss...we almost got bright yellow gear so we would be able to see each other. Fortunately, a bit of internet research on sharks resulted in a hit on a site with the term "yum-yum yellow" (something about patches of bright color looking like fish a shark might eat). We repented in time to cancel the order and went with grey and black.

DivingCRNA:

Thanks!

I had never thought of that, but it's true that in some cars, the shoulder belt lies on my neck instead of my shoulder. I loved it when they came out with the kind that sort of slides down on the pillar (post? frame?) between the windows.

Having said that, I'm not typically a "choker"; got no problem with hospital gowns, at least not the neck part of them, LOL. I did buy the wetsuit in Asia, and I assume it must have been sized for Asian female torsos. Being a "fair sex" foreigner, it's generally hard to find clothing that is long enough in the torso, big enough in the chest/shoulders, long enough in the legs/arms--even large sizes only get bigger around the waist/butt! (Which is sort of related to the Toyota comment above.)

Now I only buy wetsuits in Western countries or Australia. And they don't choke me.

ishbaby:
My snorkle, coz I never used it!

i remember when i was newly certified i had to use my snorkel everytime now i just leave it in the box where it has remained dry for over a year

Back
Top Bottom