What Color Tank Should I Buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Avoid painted tanks -- Anodized finish won't chip.
4 AL80's anodized - red or Blue. 4AL80's natural state.
I enjoy the color.
The dive shop I fill at prefers the non-glamorous ones -- to control theft, they have to lock up the "pretty" ones at night, the rest can just sit outside by the compressor shed.

Ah, the joys of tank ownership. :) (ETA: It’s really more accurate to say: Ah, the joys of your average local dive shop…)

It’s traditional that if a valve is removed from the tank that you need a new visual inspection. Do you really need a new inspection? Well, seeing as there are no legal rules surrounding said inspection, it is up to the shop to determine what they want to do.

If you’re buying the tank from DGX, it’s going to come with a visual inspection sticker with it. Put the valve on, you’re good to go. Again, whether the dive shop is going to accept that or not, who knows?

If you’re going to get the tank filled at the dive shop, I would spend the $10 and put their sticker on it. I wouldn’t spend $20 or $40… But $10 isn’t bad at all. Especially because it sounds like you’ve had a conversation with them, telling them you’re buying this tank online, etc. If you show up with the new tank with the new sticker they’re going to know the valve was off and wasn’t actually reinspected. $10 for a smoother relationship is probably worth it.

By the way, all of the nonsense that I’m describing is why I own my own compressor… :)

ETA: And if that $10 includes them putting the valve on, putting the yoke insert in, etc — and it very much should —it’s clearly worth it. Ask them to watch how it’s done, so you will feel comfortable doing yourself next time. It’s trivially easy. Just remember it’s made out of soft brass and there is an O-ring to do the sealing so it only needs to be tight enough to hold itself in place. You’re not trying to seal the tank/insert by tightening it: the O-rings do that.

It is indeed DGX.

Dropped off the tank for the visual and fill. Hope to hit the pool this weekend. They didnt have time to do the visual while I waited.

A point of view from a beginner: so you follow a group in algae rich fresh water, at distance of 2-3 m, but all you see are a few pairs of fins and one or two tanks. Who is who there? It's much easier to identify people in fresh water when they have some 'color code' within a group. Whether a tank is painted, dressed in a neoprene sleeve, or just has a ring of colored electric tape. Not so critical in salted water, but still useful, isn't it?
I agree with you that colors are easier to see in poor viz, but it is not fresh vs salty that determine the visibility. Salt water can also have really poor viz.

Pink with purple/teal swirl with glitter and rhinestones.
I think I saw you walking to Lollapalooza today.

Dropped off the tank for the visual and fill. Hope to hit the pool this weekend. They didnt have time to do the visual while I waited.

I think that you owe us a picture :)

Back
Top Bottom