Am I a Nerd for Practicing Diving in a Pool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone who posts in these forums is an extreme scuba nerd. Own it.

Except for me, I'm super suave and debonaire. Basically like Bond, James Bond underwater.

Is that like a black farmer john wetsuit with a white wetsuit top? Asking for a friend.

If you decide to go into more advanced diving, you will find that pool very valuable. You will be doing skills while hovering at depth. I even practiced cave diving in a pool by putting a variety of objects in the bottom and tying line off to each one.
I still have my buckets of concrete with an eye bolt in them that I used with students for line drills and blacked out mask practice. They'll probably never get used again underwater. I'm going to do something in the rock garden with them.
More than a few of my students who went on to cave remember how light of a touch they had to use when tying off to them and following a line. The plastic buckets would slide very easy on the tile pool bottom.
It also allowed me to slide them around when they were working with a blacked out mask.
My tech instructor trainer, Steve Lewis, always said that a half hour in the pool with the right instructor, or focusing on a specific skill in 4-6 ft of water, could be worth as much - if not more- than 2 hours in open water.

I have been renting tanks and diving in my buddies pool to get more comfortable underwater. Am I a nerd?

You should look up that one Engineer Comedian dude's skit on the differences of a nerd and a geek. You a nerd? Nah. A geek? Absolutely! :)

(Also practicing all kinds of movement in a pool is beneficial, since the change in relative pressure is bigger. -> Maintaining good boyancy and trim is actually harder than at depth, especially when moving and fumbling around.)

Br, a geek.

Whew thats a lot to digest and train. I will try all of this. I think I will do NAUI AOW early next year and will be doing Nitrox/enriched air this July. I want to practice what you said and I think it will transfer nicely to AOW. I also kinda want to do the GUE fundamental course as I hope additional training will help this **** show of a diver.
If you’re in Ohio and looking to do GUE fundamentals… there is a class this July at Gilboa that I believe has a spot open

I came back to diving after 23 years of non diving. Im originally NAUI OW in 2001. Did a PADI comprehensive refresher in Jan of this year. Went diving in Aruba in March. First time in the ocean, first time with surge first time in OW in 20 years.

I have been renting tanks and diving in my buddies pool to get more comfortable underwater. Am I a nerd?

Yes....you are a Nerd.

But..... after attending a 50 year high school reunion I've come to the conclusion that Nerds are totally cool and almost always end up with a great portfolio and a hot wife.... while the bully jocks that thought they were hot stuff in high school end up as a 7-11 or Discount Tires manager with an extended pot belly and bad comb-over.

I've spent countless hours doing just that (mostly back when I was preparing to take cavern, and then between my cavern & intro cave courses) in friends/neighbors' pools or the local family "beach" and spring that's only about 12 feet deep or so. Nothing wrong with working on skills while maintaining neutral trim & buoyancy in a pool environment, as far as I'm concerned!

If you’re in Ohio and looking to do GUE fundamentals… there is a class this July at Gilboa that I believe has a spot open

I had heard another member mention that. I was actively looking into it but tweaked my knee on a ladder. I cant even kneel down. Im going to have to see how this thing heals before making any big plans to do GUE. But I still want to in the future nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom