What BP/W set up are you using?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Golem Gear 35lb lift wing with SS plate, hog harness..

I've used the plates and wings from Dive Rite, Halcyon, Golem, DSS, Oxycheq, and Agir. I have also tried two OMS wings, and a few other brands.

I own a Halcyon SS Plate and single wing, and a DSS Kydex plate. I also have a Halcyon 60# evolve wing which I like a lot.

I have sold all my Dive Rite gear. I sold my DSS Torus 42 wing, but only because I needed a different shape. The Oxycheq Vertex 55 worked better in the water than any other doubles wing I've ever tried. My Evolve is a close second so I won't be getting rid of it.

The Golem stuff is excellent. I am not super thrilled with the shapes, but the quality is top notch and I'd recommend it (and have).

To be honest, most of the stuff out there is pretty good or excellent. I like certain companies for certain reasons, but if you buy a simple, plate, harness, and wing, it's hard to go too far wrong. Stay away from a bunch of hype and bells and whistles. It's just marketing and usually gets in the way more than it helps.

I recently started penetrating wrecks. I've been using jacket style BCDs. I see a lot of benefit to switching to a BP/W but I don't even know were to begin.

Let me know what your set up is just so I have the names and combinations to start my research. If you want to tell me what you like/dislike about it that would be great too but searching BP/W brings up WAY too many results. I'm hoping a search for different brands will help narrow down the results.

Thanks,
Darrell

What tank or tanks are you diving? Whatever backplate padded or not, and harness configuration you want for weight and fit. The Wing - that will depend on the tanks.

Single tank - usually 30 donut.
Twin 80s - usually a donut 40 or horseshoe 45
Twin 108s no stages - donut 60 or horseshoe 55
108s with stages - donut 60
121s with stages (and lots of other stuff) - donut 60 or oms 98 (big red)

just food for thought. I have several backplates of different types and with different configurations - what am I diving today?

Using an no name aluminium plate (anodised blue), Oxycheq comfort harness, and Oxycheq Mach V Extreme 30# wing (getting an 18# wing soon)

Z..

I have a weird set up. It's the jet harness flat plate, single tank only. I really like it, but it's not appropriate for tech (doubles) use. The wing is a clone of the older style travel wing. I don't like the newest DR wings; even the travel wing is huge. I also have a hammerhead AL plate which would probably be very good for doubles because it has a fairly steep bend. I was using an older venture wing on it, but I sold it and will probably replace it with an oxycheq or DSS wing.

If I were starting from scratch and I wanted set up primarily for single tanks but with the option to use it for doubles, I'd almost certainly get a DSS single tank rig, and start looking for a used doubles wing. It's much easier to find ebay deals on doubles wings than small singles wings.

I have a hodgepodge of gear, mostly because it's what came my way at the time. Right now, I have an Oxycheq plate with a DSS wing for a singles rig (bought it from NWGratefulDiver as a chimaera) and an OMS Al plate (bought from my LDS in a fit of pique, because I could get it THAT DAY) with a Deep Outdoors 40 lb wing (came as a throw-in with a set of 72s I bought) for my doubles. I have a DSS Kydex plate that I use for doubles diving in Mexico.

You can tell what our opinion is of the gear we've owned and played with, though, when you find out that my HUSBAND's gear (all of which was acquired after mine) is DSS up and down the line.

I love my Zeagle s/s plate with the Ranger wing. Easy to switch from singles to doubles, just remove the tank cam straps and bolt the doubles on. Very good customer service.

Halcyon AL plate and Halcyon SS plate.

Halcyon Evolve 60 wing for doubles diving.

Oxycheq Mach V for singles diving.

Halcyon STA with 6lb weight.

Halcyon ACB 6lb weight pockets.

With all this stuff there's pretty much not a configuration I can't put together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom