What BP/W set up are you using?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadiver888

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I recently started penetrating wrecks. I've been using jacket style BCDs. I see a lot of benefit to switching to a BP/W but I don't even know were to begin.

Let me know what your set up is just so I have the names and combinations to start my research. If you want to tell me what you like/dislike about it that would be great too but searching BP/W brings up WAY too many results. I'm hoping a search for different brands will help narrow down the results.

Thanks,
Darrell

Dive Rite aluminum backplate with the trek wing. Dive Rite web site has a solution finder that helps you find what you need.

Dive Rite steel plate with Venture Wing.

What I like about my setup is pretty universal to BP/Ws in general. Simple harness system, weight distributed across my entire back instead of in pockets, reliable, modular.

My main reason for choosing Dive Rite is that they're 45 minutes away from me and I have a few friends that work there.

I have 2 backplates, a Dive Rite SS, and an Edge/HOG Aluminum plate. I have 2 wings right now, a 55 pound Zeagle Manta, which I really like after I performed a few modifications to it, and a 30 pound Apeks single tank wing as well. I'll likely end up with 2 more wings, one about 18 pounds for pool and travel, and one around 35 to 40 pound double tank wing for smaller doubles, like 72's or al80's.

Deep Sea Supply SS plate with weight plates for cold water, without for warm water, LCD 30 wing and hog harness...

Dive-Rite may have a solution finder, but DSS has Tobin... 'nuff said

I have two DSS rigs. A single with an lcd 30 wing and my doubles which is another ss plate and lcd 50 wing. Both have Hogarthian harnesses. I also have the 8lb weight plates when diving singles with a dry suit.

OMS plates in both SS and AL each with a deluxe comfort harness w/ 45# bungee wing.
The SS plate with it's STA is 8# on the heavy side which is nice for local diving but the AL plate is being set up for travel. That said I'm looking for a smaller wing to match up with it maybe an Oxycheq Razor.
The wing I'm using now is a fair compromise intil I have a smaller singles wing. It works well with the STA and the bungees control the air and keep it's profile down in the water. Once I have the smaller wing the 45# will be for doubles or if needed cold water.

I just did my first 2 dives on my new Apeks WTX6 wing (60lbs lift), with an Apeks SS backplate (5lbs), WTX harness(Apeks Marine Equipment Ltd) and double LP98's. I'm really pleased with the Apeks quality, price and ease of use. I don't think my Oceanpro BC will see much use, and might be for sale after only 10 dives on it from new. The wing just makes it easier to maintain a nice horizontal position, is more streamlined, and much less cluttered. And no plastic clips, buckles, etc.

Most of my previous dives have been on my Oceanics Oceanpro BC with quick-release weight, and a weight belt, with a single tank. It's a nice enough BC, but I really prefer the BP/W and the simplicity of my setup.

I bought a Deep Sea Supply BP/Wing combo (Torus 49 wing) in April for doubles. I liked it so much I just sold my old BC and ordered a LCD 30 wing, blocks, and cam straps to use as a single tank set up.

As someone else said - you can't go wrong with Tobin.

Back
Top Bottom