Thinking of going to a BP/W, Xdeep Ghost vs. HOG TCBS, user reviews?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BORG

Contributor
Reaction score
Tucker, Georgia, just northeast of Atlanta
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys,
I am thinking of going to a BP/W set up in the future and am considering the Xdeep Ghost or the HOG TCBS( HOG dealer, Divers Supply is here in the Atlanta area)

Anyone used these two BP/Ws and how do they compare in comfort, ease of use, etc. in and out of the water with these two BP/W systems?

Thanks for any input if you've used or own these two BP/Ws!

In the water both will be equally comfortable with a basic harness. The comfort harnesses are not needed, add extra complexity, and limit some of the customizing you can do. A BPW should be simple and easy to set up. The TCBS harness can be a little fiddly. I was a HOG dealer for 12 years and set up maybe a dozen of them. So for me they didn't take much time relatively speaking. A basic one piece harness I could have threaded and adjusted in less than a half hour taking my time. But over the years I set up well over a hundred of them.
There is nothing easier to use than a one piece harness. Unless you are walking a hundred yards or more to get in the water, any extra padding is not needed and just complicates the set up. Both are good systems. But leave the plastic buckles, clips, and padding on the shelf. Doing that will also save you money.

And if you are going to be diving saltwater, there is no advantage to a lightweight plate. Get a steel plate and save money there as well. Get a steel plate, basic harness, 32lb wing and 2 cam bands. Done.
I have the TCBS harness but am using an X deep Classic Sidemount wing on it. It makes a good base for a sidemount set up. I don't care for it using a single tank.

I used the HOG TCBS for a few dives but found the straps, buckles, and pads to be cumbersome (I'm now just using a single piece of webbing and happier). I gave the TCBS to my 14-year-old son who really likes it, however. It was easy to get in and out of the straps, and the straps and buckles seemed to be good quality.

I have the TBCS and I had them help me put it together at divers supply when I bought it; I've adjusted the height of the straps to the soft-plate/wing, but did not find that part to by finicky. Overall I've been happy with the comfort/feel of it. I came from a ZeagleCovert XT and found the TBCS has way less tank flop than the Zeagle did.

Thanks for all the info. I think I'll be getting the Zeagle BP/W with a SS plate. I have the Zeagle Ranger and Stilleto already. I'll let my son use one of those when I'm not using one of them or the Zeagle BP/W.
My adult son has now got the diving bug and was planning on getting his OW this Fall. Until he broke his foot back in late July in a freak accident on the stairs at our front door and had to had have surgery to have a titanium screw put in there to get it to heal correctly. So by late Spring 2024 when its' completely healed he will be my next diving buddy.

Back
Top Bottom