Thinking of a DGX SoftPac BCD system for my wife. Any input?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIHappyDiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife is a new diver, 7 dives, and has not been impressed with the 3 BCs that she has used so far. She likes the streamline of my BP/W, but I'm not sure how she's going to like the lack of comfort, especially when walking to the shore for the shore diving that is done around here and in Bonaire. Because of the comfort variable, I'm thinking about the DGX Gears SoftPack BCD Package for her. I know it will be more buoyant due to the padding, but I remember reading that @Marie13 cut the back padding out of her TransPac, so I'm guessing I could do the same. It's really just the shoulders and hips that I'm concerned with.

Anyone have any input on this setup? The other option that I'm thinking of is a basic DGX BP/W with the Dive Rite shoulder pads, I'm just not sure how much they help, and they do nothing for the hips. And, guys, these things tend to affect women's hips more than ours. Just say'n.

Thanks for any input,

Erik

Get a proper BPW. I have used mine in everything from bikinitops to 2C coldwater drysuit.
Halcyon webbing is a slight bit softer, but I have never missed padding on mine. (I live in a 3rd floor city apartment and carry my 120lbs CCR up and down the stairs in nothing but a t-shirt. (Edit: AND shorts! ;D)
Never had an issue with plate and hips.
A proper BPW is clean, free of clutter in the front and will stay where you want it to. Forget about chest straps. DO use a crotchstrap. It will keep the rig where you want it and NOT upunder armpits. Get a basic continuous webbing. Keep armstraps reasonably loose, and crotchstrap/waiststrap properly fast.
Any standard BPW will do. I can only attest to Halcyon, as that is the only one I have had. I got mine in 2012, and still has not had to do any changes other than maintenance on the inflator.
One important point though. If she is petite/shorter, then you might want to go with a small plate.

What’s the length of your wife’s torso? If it’s too short, the soft pad won’t work. I think DGX even mentions that.

I took out (it velcroes in) the soft backpad on my Transpac as it’s the harness for my sidemount rig and my weight plate goes inside, facing my back. I don’t like it on the outside of harness with pockets facing in, not easily accessible.

What’s the length of your wife’s torso? If it’s too short, the soft pad won’t work. I think DGX even mentions that b
Good point. Soft BCDs not specifically made for women are usually made using "unisex" MALE avg measurements. Men usually have quite a longer torso then women and "unisex" bcds therefore tend to ride low on hips, with the consequence of being hard to properly cinch around the waist and will ride up and be a pain to dive in!

What’s the length of your wife’s torso? If it’s too short, the soft pad won’t work. I think DGX even mentions that.

I took out (it velcroes in) the soft backpad on my Transpac as it’s the harness for my sidemount rig and my weight plate goes inside, facing my back. I don’t like it on the outside of harness with pockets facing in, not easily accessible.
This was one of the things I liked about the DGX SoftPac, it comes in 3 sizes. Now, we haven’t measured her torso yet, so that is still on the todo list before we order.

Get a proper BPW. I have used mine in everything from bikinitops to 2C coldwater drysuit.
Halcyon webbing is a slight bit softer, but I have never missed padding on mine. (I live in a 3rd floor city apartment and carry my 120lbs CCR up and down the stairs in nothing but a t-shirt. (Edit: AND shorts! ;D)
A proper BPW is clean, free of clutter in the front and will stay where you want it to. Forget about chest straps. DO use a crotchstrap. It will keep the rig where you want it and NOT upunder armpits. Get a basic continuous webbing. Keep armstraps reasonably loose, and crotchstrap/waiststrap properly fast.
Any standard BPW will do. I can only attest to Halcyon, as that is the only one I have had. I got mine in 2012, and still has not had to do any changes other than maintenance on the inflator.
One important point though. If she is petite/shorter, then you might want to go with a small plate.
She is 5’4”, often buys petite pants, but not tops. We’ll definitely do some measuring before buying anything.
Thanks for the input on comfort!

What fits YOUR body with regards to harness is likely a totally different thing for a woman. You can be petite, but still have boobage. I’ve found a harness with a chest strap works very well for me.

You may be scandalized by a non-continuous webbing harness with a chest strap, but a lot of people don’t give a flying fig and uses what they like and what fits them.

Tank wiggle.

Any soft BC is going to have a bit of tank wiggle or really 'shift'. If she is just a Look Straight Ahead & fin diver it's not a problem. But if a photographer / hole-looker that twists and turns, that wiggle becomes really annoying to many. The back plat solves that by stretching the tank stability over a greater surface area.

You may be scandalized by a non-continuous webbing harness with a chest strap, but a lot of people don’t give a flying fig and uses what they like and what fits them.
@RIHappyDiver
I think a BP/W with adjustable straps on a harness makes the most sense and is most comfortable for divers. People can make their own (I recommend taking the harness to a shoe repair shop for quality stitching (I paid $6/per stitch about 5 years ago, still comes out cheaper than a "deluxe" harness and you get it to be exactly how you want). With a BP and STA, she may not need any additional weight either. A balanced rig is the way to go.

You could also be a gentleman and carry your wife's setup to the water. That's what I did when I started diving with my then girlfriend who was 105 lbs and 5'2" :wink:

@RIHappyDiver
I think a BP/W with adjustable straps on a harness makes the most sense and is most comfortable for divers. People can make their own (I recommend taking the harness to a shoe repair shop for quality stitching (I paid $6/per stitch about 5 years ago, still comes out cheaper than a "deluxe" harness and you get it to be exactly how you want). With a BP and STA, she may not need any additional weight either. A balanced rig is the way to go.

You could also be a gentleman and carry your wife's setup to the water. That's what I did when I started diving with my then girlfriend who was 105 lbs and 5'2" :wink:
Funny story, at least it is now. Her only real shore dive so far was Salt Pier, Bonaire, and she fell once on the way to the water, and once in the water. So, shore dive will include in water donning for a while, with me carrying gear for her. However, I’m trying to think long term, lol.

Back
Top Bottom