What bag size should I buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppatrick

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

A newbie is here. I recently purchased some basic gears: mask, fins, snorgle, and booties. Yesterday was my 3rd scuba class and I just realized that I didn't have a bag big enough for the fins. It was kind of funny carrying fins in my elbows to school with a snorkel sticking out of my stuffed backpack. :D

Today I went to Sport Authority and found a North Face duffle bag on sale (more than half off!!!) made from waterproof PVC tarpaulin. I'm thinking about buying it. Its capacity is 4200 cubic inch or 7 liters (24" x 15" x 15" or 61cm x 38cm x 38cm). Here's the bag I'm talking about http://www.luggagepros.com/mpb/IID7894.shtml I know this bag is big enough for all gears I have now. However, would it be big enough for my future gears:wet suit, BC, and regulator (I will never buy a tank because it's too heavy). Just want a bag that can hold the stuff mentioned above. Please advice.

Thank you :)
Patrick

First of all, welcome to scubaboard! You'll find tons of tips and advice from experienced divers.

That bag does not seem very practical for hauling around wet dive gear. Yes its waterproof, but you want something with holes in it, so the water in your gear can drain...scuba gear is heavy enough without dragging the ocean home with you too!

Take a look at http://scubatoys.com for gear bags.

This is the one I use and like a lot. http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=BG150

Also, if the zippers and pulls are properly treated or are plasic they will rust if you dive salt water. Some cheaper metals will rust in the time it takes you to complete your first dive so rinsing doesn't work for them.

Irene:
First of all, welcome to scubaboard! You'll find tons of tips and advice from experienced divers.

That bag does not seem very practical for hauling around wet dive gear. Yes its waterproof, but you want something with holes in it, so the water in your gear can drain...scuba gear is heavy enough without dragging the ocean home with you too!

Take a look at http://scubatoys.com for gear bags.

This is the one I use and like a lot. http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=BG150

Irene, thanks for showing your nice bag. Yours is about 55% larger. Do you have any space left after putting all your gears in the bag? Do those wet gear that heavy? Can I rinse them before putting in the bag? I was thinking about finding a mesh duffle bag, so my gear can drain. Then those mesh duffle bags look somewhat flimsy or easy to break. I want a bag that can be used as both boat bag and travel bag (from home to hotel). I'm afraid the mesh bag wouldn't survive the throwing at the airports...

rockjock3, thanks for reminding me to check the zipper. The zip thread is hard plastic, but the zip handler is some kind of metal. How big is your bag? Do you think the 4200 cubic inch enough?

I pack everything except BCD in a 30"x15"x13" generic $20 duffel bag from Target. The BCD I just wear when walking down to the boat. My advice is to buy a cheap duffel / gym bag and use the money saved for other gear, training or boat charters.

I haven't had any problem with saltwater and plastic zippers, nor even with the metal zipper pull. Just be sure there isn't other metal hardware like snaps. Those do rust quickly.

For flying with gear, I load stuff into a standard hardsided suitcase. The duffel bag either gets packed inside the suitcase, or if I'm hauling too much junk, then a bunch of indestructibles like wetsuits and clothing get checked in the duffel.

For shore dives everything just gets put into plastic tubs in the car trunk.

ppatrick:
Do you have any space left after putting all your gears in the bag?
I pack my BC, wetsuit (or thermals), mask, back-up mask, small save-a-dive kit, regs, fins, back-up lights, booties, reel, lift bag, and other misc accessories. I could probably squeeze a few more things in, but there's not tons of room left over.

ppatrick:
Do those wet gear that heavy? Can I rinse them before putting in the bag?
Yes, wet gear gets very heavy. The other thing is if the water isn't allowed to drain, your gear sits in what I refer to as a "soup." This seems to speed up the mildewing process. Yes, you can rinse the mesh bags. I usually rinse mine out with my gear after each diving session.

ppatrick:
Then those mesh duffle bags look somewhat flimsy or easy to break. I want a bag that can be used as both boat bag and travel bag (from home to hotel). I'm afraid the mesh bag wouldn't survive the throwing at the airports...

The mesh bag is meant for transport from home/hotel to boat and back. You're right, it won't stand up to airline travel. Most folks will carry a cheap mesh bag inside their more rugged travel bag, so they can use that after they arrive at their destination. Please don't consider using the same bag for airline travel and for transporting stuff to a boat. The hardsided cases take up way too much room and can endanger safety of others if they are sticking out from under your seat, etc.

Good Luck in your search for the perfect solution.

Buy the akona deluxe backpack. I just bought it, and it kicks *****. It holds everything plus more.

You can't really get a bag that is good for both boats and travel, the compromise will do a bad job at one or possibly both tasks. (That North Face bag I'd guess would probably do a bad job at both.) Get a decent heavyweight mesh bag for dealing with wet gear on boats and pack it inside your travel bag when you go someplace, they are not that expensive. For travel, look into regular durable travel bags that will fit your gear, some people like soft and some like hard (I've used both and prefer soft side.) For something to haul through airports you'll probably want one with wheels, backpack straps, or both. And many people will say to avoid bags with scuba logos on them.

BTW, you would never put a tank in your bag.

Id have to say that bag is very nice if you can get it half off get it, dont wory if it dosnt have whole.... you dont want it leeking salt water into the trunk of your car :) id get it if i found it half off im also looking for a bag

Thanks everyone for great advice. I think I’m going to buy that North Face because it’s a very nice bag on big sale (yeah Brand0n, I could get it around $35). Then I’ll buy a mesh bag to use as a boat bag and use my regular luggage as a travel bag (try to save money to spend on other gear like Charlie99).

More advice/opinions is still welcome. I’ll probably go buy bags sometimes next week.

Thanks everyone!
Patrick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom