Should I buy a used lot of equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

little seahorse

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My husband's coworker's wife is no longer diving, and when they found out we dive they brought a big bag of stuff for me to check out. Inside was an aqualung seaquest Libra BCD in excellent condition, an aqualung titan regulator in excellent condition, as well as a wetsuit, mask, fins, gloves and boots, and a large duffel bag and boat bag. They are asking $600 obo for everything. I'm going to take everything to my local dive shop for eval, but I have no concept of valuation of everything as I am still a novice with 35 dives and only own my own mask and fins currently. I have been doing research as I was planning on buying my own stuff this year, and had been leaning towards a BP&W like a diverite transpac, but I don't know if I should just spend less and go with this, or if I should buy it and sell the wetsuit and BCD and keep the regulator if it passes inspection, or if I should just wait and do more research and buy each thing individually... Would love advise :)

Condition care and age are everything.

Regs and bcs should be serviced prior to purchase. Just because it looks new does not mean great condition. Example - If the BC was not rinsed or did not dry properly and the bag rotted inside you wouldnt know that until you over inflated the BC and the bag popped. I had it happen early in my diving career and I hve bought new gear ever since with the exception of a very gently used shearwater computer and transmitted for my wife.

$600 seems a lot. But how long ago did she stop diving? I see a lot of people here and on FB Marketplace try to sell old gear in one lot for silly prices.

The Transpac is nice. Don’t settle for something else just because it’s cheap. Definitely check out the wetsuit, etc. That stuff is easy to buy used. Is the neoprene stiff or supple? Any holes or tears. If it fits you, good deal. I wouldn’t buy the whole kit and caboodle if all you want is part of the lot.

Buying from friends can sometimes be awkward, but offer only what you're comfortable with. Explain that you're willing to pay X price, but that they very well may be able to get more if they sell individually online. Unfortunately, used (even with 1 dive) equipment depreciates significantly (often 50% or more), especially for safety equipment that will need to be fully serviced.

As Marie said, don't settle for what you don't want simply because a maybe good deal pops up. Once I switched to bp/w, I have no regrets other than not doing it sooner. I also think $600 is a lot. Google shows a used Libra for $150 on LP for some reference. Wetsuits generally go for pretty cheap, as do masks, and generic fins.

Post some pictures and people may be able to give you a more informed response.

I buy used equipment a lot, but singly as I have a chance to think about what I want and what I need. I don’t buy in lots.

I see so much old, out of date, out of service, poor condition stuff for sale all the time. Someone remember paying full retail for it a decade or two ago and thinks it is worth almost that today.

My gut feeling, pass. They quit diving, probably have no idea the wetsuit is old and crusty, lost stretch, never did stretch like modern material, etc. And that goes for the whole list of gear. Didn't see anything in that list that is something desirable. Functional for the day, outdated by today.

Remember that it will likely cost $150 (50 a stage) to service a 1st stage and two 2nd stages before you can use it safely. Does the mask fit you properly? Are the fins and suit your size? A poorly fitting wetsuit is no good and loose fins will come off. Be sure to check all of that out.

Remember that it will likely cost $150 (50 a stage) to service a 1st stage and two 2nd stages before you can use it safely. Does the mask fit you properly? Are the fins and suit your size? A poorly fitting wetsuit is no good and loose fins will come off. Be sure to check all of that out.

Yep, I bought a near mint Apeks reg set from someone I work with. I told him the price that I was comfortable with factoring in $100+ servicing even though it may not need it. He was very unhappy, but I told him that he probably could get more for it online and he should take that route. If he changed his mind, I've got cash for him if and when ready. He took the money within two hours.

In contrast, a seasoned dive buddy of mine bought a full set of 4th Element arctic undergarments worth $400+. They didn't fit and he didn't exchange in time. I was fairly new to drysuit diving and he sold them to me with an asking price of $50. I gave him much more than that.

Does the regulator have a computer - does it work?

How old is the gear?

It sounds like a reasonable offer, depending on age and condition.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom