Should I buy a used lot of equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The gear for sale posts I see online are full of stuff from the 80s and 90s. Might have been expensive once I see a lot of ScubaPro BCs - but no one wants your junk now. People have an inflated view of what stuff is worth. You see it with all sorts of stuff.
Pretty much what I see as well. Add in poorly stored, never maintained, minus anything of actual value. If tanks are present, way out of hydro and typically the bad alloy.

Wow I have not bought a significant piece of new scuba gear in a long time. Recently bought from the sb classified section atomis ss1 inflator, old dive computer console, atomic first stage, regulator swivel and hoses, all seemed to work out well for me.

If you dive frequently, your brand new gear will look older than “used” in 1-2 months

The real issue is that new divers don't know what they don't know yet. Buying used gear, especially in a grab bag sale, is likely to result in some unusable or redundant dive gear. Once you have more experience and familiarity with what gear you really want and understand the servicing requirements to make it usable, you can do well buying used gear. I've bought plenty of used gear and sold a fair amount as well.

It's better to track down that one specific item you really want rather than buy up a bunch of random crap because the price seems compelling.

Wow I have not bought a significant piece of new scuba gear in a long time. Recently bought from the sb classified section atomis ss1 inflator, old dive computer console, atomic first stage, regulator swivel and hoses, all seemed to work out well for me.

If you dive frequently, your brand new gear will look older than “used” in 1-2 months
No one is saying buy new, we're just saying don't buy crap... except for the reg in the ori post, it's most likely all crap.

The real issue is that new divers don't know what they don't know yet. Buying used gear, especially in a grab bag sale, is likely to result in some unusable or redundant dive gear. Once you have more experience and familiarity with what gear you really want and understand the servicing requirements to make it usable, you can do well buying used gear. I've bought plenty of used gear and sold a fair amount as well.

It's better to track down that one specific item you really want rather than buy up a bunch of random crap because the price seems compelling.

I agree 100%. I remember being excited to just acquire "stuff" in the beginning. I had no idea it wasn't going to work.

I daresay the quality of used gear for sale here is generally heads above the crap I see on FB or CL.

How long are you planning on scuba diving? If you're only going to dive on vacations, it might be worth buying the gear. Your LDS only needs to test regulators with an Intermediate Pressure gauge. If you're looking long term, I would go with your first considerations, and buy separately. There are loads of used dive gear being sold.

I daresay the quality of used gear for sale here is generally heads above the crap I see on FB or CL.
I really like to hear this but still nervous pulling the trigger so to speak when buying new gear and without seeing it. (Like others have said not knowing what to look for)

The real issue is that new divers don't know what they don't know yet. Buying used gear, especially in a grab bag sale, is likely to result in some unusable or redundant dive gear.
Yeah, but for a new diver who doesn't know what they don't know yet, buying new gear is also likely to result in some unusable or redundant dive gear, at 3x the price to their LDS.

If you are comfortable with your own assessment of technical equipment, evaluating risk, etc., then
you can probably tell in a few seconds, or a quick pool session, whether some used fins & mask fit well, whether a BCD holds air, etc. Instead of buying used, you could buy new gear and pay your LDS the new-equipment premium to advise you on purchases. Sometimes it's worth it for the education & to support a local business, sometimes it isn't...

Tanks & regulators and hoses need to be inspected & serviced or replaced -- but that applies whether they are 2 years old or 20 years old. [Yeah, Atomic has a longer service interval than most, and yeah well maintained gear with no IP creep may not need any service...but that goes under the headings of "inspected" and there's nothing to stop a new diver from also getting training and servicing a regulator.]

If the used gear is in the right range (ie., the size tag makes you think it would fit, it isn't stinky & crusty & dirty & full of holes, etc) and the right price for you, then I say give it a shot.

In a year (or 50 dives) you'll have a better idea whether that stuff is right or not. If you discover you really want different equipment, it will be easier for you to stop diving $500 of used gear that you don't like than to keep using $1500 of new gear that you don't like. :)

Me, I'm diving a motley collection of used gear, and enjoying it.

The Titan first stage is good, that reg takes the same parts kit (900001) as a Conshelf, and Conshelfs have been around since 1967 (or maybe longer?). The second stages are pretty cheesy on the Titans. They have a plastic pull over cover and the purge depressor is part of that cover. They get old and stiff and eventually crack. That is a throw away second stage, a real here-now sort of design developed just to be an economy second stage. The bc is a basic poodle jacket. You already mentioned you were interested in a BP/W so why settle for that crap?
What are the fins?
The wetsuit might be good depending on how it was stored and how many miles on it. I doubt she did any super deep dives to smash out the neoprene but who knows? If it was hanging in a closet out of sunlight and the hanger was a wide wetsuit type to spread out the pressure then that is good. If it was folded up stuffed in a bag then not so good, you will never get the fold lines out. Most of all it has to fit. If it doesn’t fit then it’s worthless.
Same with the mask, it needs to fit.
If she insists on selling it as a lot and won’t part it out then I’d say forget it.
The only thing universally worth being used would be the first stage. But then you’d have to come up with two better second stages and that could be more hassle then it’s worth. Also what about the hoses? What type? Are they in good shape?
I pretty much always change out hoses on anything used I get. That adds up too.

Soft stuff, I generally won't do used. Hard stuff like bottles, valves or regs, I have no problem with. I did however recently buy a used whip that the owner told me was old. A couple decades or more old. I liked it a lot. The two DIN connector valves I got on it were worth twice what I paid for the entire whip, but the hose sheath split a month or so ago. I replaced the hose with a new hydraulic hose and so basically have a new whip now. But that is a hybrid example of the soft stuff dictum.

I've come across a couple of the "selling a complete lot of scuba gear I bought 25 years ago" bundles that may have had a tank in it I would have an interest in, but most folks thought their old yellowed rubber and crackly neoprene stuff was still new because they only used it on one scuba trip in 1996... Lower the price to what the tank's value is to me and I'll throw away all the other stuff for you, or sell me the tank separately, but in either case I passed on all the [formerly] soft stuff.

OMMOHY

Back
Top Bottom