What Are The Riskiest Things In Your Life?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely diving. I read somewhere that the time period where a new diver is most likely to get into trouble is within the first 20 dives. I've logged 7, but hope to be above 50 by the end of 2007. Until then?

Diving

Of all the "so called" risky things I do in my life (four-eggs-ample: Riding sports motorcycles ont he road and race track, scuba diving, bungee jump, extreme skiing, scuba diving, rock climbing) the only place I have ever had my lif eplaced at risk was in a kitchen.

A kitchen fire has given me 6 months of being bedridden, extreme pain beyond anything most people will ever endure, and scars that will forever be part of me. The inury tally for ALL my "risky" activites combined runs to about 2 days of rest from a strained back, a few bruises and a twisted badly bruised thumb. Oh, and a spider bite after coming off the track at turn 7 at eastern Creek raceway.

The moral of the story is, it's only as dangerous as you let it be.

Z...

Let's see:

1. Driving 35 minutes to work every day
2. Some unknown health issue (i.e. cancer, vascular) although I try to be healthy
3. I work in a school (rural), so there's a remote chance of an armed student or parent with a grudge showing up one day

The thing that has proven the most risky has to be cutting wood with my husband. I've had one dead tree bounced off of my head (the part that hit me was the size of my thigh) and it wasn't even one he was cutting. He dropped a smaller tree (size of my calf) on me, luckily just the upper branches landed on me. Recently he motioned for me to go ahead and drive the John Deere gator past the tree he had just cut that had gotten hung up in another tree. Once I was in range the tree (bigger around than me) started to fall, luckily it hung up once again or it might have squished me.

Second riskiest, being near any tree when my husband mentions it needs to be cut down. We were repotting plants near the house when hubby said he was going to have someone take down a dying walnut tree that was too big and too close to the house for him to risk messing with. A few minutes later I heard a crack and look up to see a branch falling from about 25 feet out of that tree toward us. I could have gotten out of the way but had no time to warn him so I stayed beside him. The branch which was about the size of my forearm bounced off of my head and my shoulder then hit his arm doubling him over. He said it hit so hard it felt like it broke his arm, I told him it had already bounced off of me twice before it ever touched him.

Third riskiest, probably my propensity for wandering into traffic without looking both ways :D
Ber :lilbunny:

Diving around this type of mess ...

linemess.jpg

To recover these for a friend ...

traprecovery.jpg

In the Piscataqua River there is always (slight during slack to ripping at full exchange) a current, there is frequently low vis and there is usually a bunch of warp line everywhere. Most of my dives are solo, obviously these weren't; I wanted video so I asked a good friend to accompany me.

TSandM:
I commute over a mountain pass in the wintertime. That's definitely the riskiest thing I do.

I ride horses. I've been hurt a lot of times doing that. That's probably the highest risk of injury, but not the highest risk of death.

My family has little cancer, no vascular disease other than in smokers (which I have never been), and is long-lived on both sides. However, both of my parents are demented.

I figure I'm much better off doing things that carry a risk of death, rather than looking forward to a long, lingering death by inches as my brain fails.

well, in case you need verification, your brain is still firing fine.

So what do you think of people's perceptions about their top three risks? You must know all about this.

I am surprised that people seem to think family history plays such a huge role. In other words, even if you have no history of CV disease, wouldn't the fact that you are a certain age mean that it is a risk to manage?

I mean, isn't heart attack realistically in most people's top three highest risks if they are say over 40?

Ken thinks commercial flying is in his top risks. Is that true? I would say flu or house fire would be more probable.

Green, thats a mess, be careful. Looks real risky, especially solo.

catherine96821:
How many people out there ponder their actual risks and feel they have them in order?
I definately don't. It's not something I think about unless I'm filling out insurance applications. As I see it, life is too unpredictable to (IMHO) waste time with an exercise like that. I could sit for an hour thinking of the risks I take, prioritize them (deco diving in cold/low vis, white water rafting, skydiving, photographing dangerous wild animals, driving a hoopty in rush hour traffic, skiing, drinking, drinking & skiing, eating high cholesterol foods, getting scratched by my cat, using "the five second rule", inadequate stretching before exercise, eating seafood out of Boston Harbor, touching subway walls, breathing DIY fumes and dust, cooties, etc...), and then be killed by a runaway bus while walking to my mail box.

What's the point? I evaluate the riskiness of activities I engage in on an ongoing basis, and only engage in risks I consider acceptable. Other than scaring the hell out of my mom, what would itemizing my risky behaviors accomplish?

Back
Top Bottom