What are the chances that TS Rina will blow out out diving later this week or worse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was optimistic yesterday that I would log in to find a different story this morning but I'm sorry it's not. :depressed:

Batten down the hatches Christi and Antonio! Be safe. The resiliency of the good people there will have everything back to normal this weekend.

Do they close the airport at some time. Continental is still flying in tomorrow.

Hopefully it's empty but with just people and provisions that HAVE to be there. Any tourist arriving there now is only going to add stress to those trying to prepare and compromise efforts and supplies.

Do they close the airport at some time. Continental is still flying in tomorrow.
Real airlines keep flying when they can. Cont flew an extra, empty plane to Cancun to evacuate passengers when I left - at least the once I left on for H.Dean, maybe more. Charter airlines may not.

The arriving planes should be empty, but as I was leaving the hotel for Dean, I saw people checking in. I asked them why and their response was "What hurricane?!"

Of course, no planes will be at the airport when it closes if possible. Anything that can fly will go elsewhere, and no airline will fly in unless they think they can get out in time. Thursday might see flight try, and maybe even turn around.

Well had to cancel out the resort reservations and was pleased to hear they would either reschedule or refund.
the airlines are a different story, they just asked us to check in for tomorrows flight.
Hoping the good people of COZ will stay safe.

The news was comparing this to Wilma in regards to the track and slow movement. Lets hope not

small storm, quite a bit of windshear, and it should be sucking in some dry air tomorrow.

it is running over some very deeply warm SSTs though to feed it energy.

i'm going to guess that the dry air breaks it up and it makes landfall closer to cat 1-2 rather than 3+, and that cat 3 is more the worst-case forecast... this doesn't look like wilma/dean at all right now...

still intensity forecasts are poor, track forecasts are much better...

Well had to cancel out the resort reservations and was pleased to hear they would either reschedule or refund.
the airlines are a different story, they just asked us to check in for tomorrows flight.
Hoping the good people of COZ will stay safe.
You didn't get trip insurance for flying in storm season? Well, you saved that much money, and the airline will let you use the residual after penalty if you cancel. Don't just no-show.

as of NOW Continental is still flying in tomorrow! They won't make a decision today - they will hold out as long as they can, because if people cancel flights before they do, they can charge penalties! That is why I always advise people to wait until the last possible moment because the airlines will cancel within 24 hours of a direct hit - and then they are out the change penalties, not the passenger!

This does not look good.....If it passes west of the island it will take the worst winds.

HurTrack1.gif

WSO - we are very familiar with hurricanes and what the "clean" side vs. the "dirty" side of the storm is - we've been through Wilma (which was in fact the strongest hurricane on record to this date) among other very strong storms, and while we are not taking this one lightly, we can handle it and will be back in action and back on our feet much faster than I think you can imagine! We're not happy about this - but we will do what we have to do, we will all be safe, and we will all unite after the storm to get the island ready for our friends to come back ASAP!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom