What are the chances that TS Rina will blow out out diving later this week or worse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WSO - we are very familiar with hurricanes and what the "clean" side vs. the "dirty" side of the storm is - we've been through Wilma (which was in fact the strongest hurricane on record to this date) among other very strong storms, and while we are not taking this one lightly, we can handle it and will be back in action and back on our feet much faster than I think you can imagine! We're not happy about this - but we will do what we have to do, we will all be safe, and we will all unite after the storm to get the island ready for our friends to come back ASAP!

:clapping: Yes, you do know how to handle it!

Christi, at what point are the tourists a bigger burden? According to the tracker, Rina hits you as a Cat 3 on Thurs 8am. We are (were?) supposed to fly in Friday afternoon.

at201118_5day.gif

AA posted to Facebook around 1 pm EST:
WEATHER ALERT: Due to Hurricane Rina, we have issued a travel policy for Cancun (CUN) and Cozumel (CZM). This gives you the flexibility to change your travel, if traveling Oct. 25-29. If affected, please go to American Airlines Current Travel Alerts On AA.com.

AA posted to Facebook around 1 pm EST:
WEATHER ALERT: Due to Hurricane Rina, we have issued a travel policy for Cancun (CUN) and Cozumel (CZM). This gives you the flexibility to change your travel, if traveling Oct. 25-29. If affected, please go to American Airlines Current Travel Alerts On AA.com.
About time. Continental finally posted theirs, 25-31: http://www.continental.com/CMS/en-US/travel/news/Pages/travelnotices.aspx?v_ctrk=HHLN$0-772-2045-1-1156

:clapping: Yes, you do know how to handle it!

Christi, at what point are the tourists a bigger burden? According to the tracker, Rina hits you as a Cat 3 on Thurs 8am. We are (were?) supposed to fly in Friday afternoon.

at201118_5day.gif

JAX - still hard to tell what day we will be diving again - but if you are scheduled to fly in on Friday, and the flights are coming in - your hotel and dive op will be happy to see you - as long as you understand that we might still be in clean-up mode depending on how hard we are hit. We are very resilient here and as soon as our boats are back in the water and the port is open, we will be diving! I would not cancel your flight yet as you still have time to make that decision - and can literally wait until the last minute, especially if the airlines have issued the option now.

I posted on facebook today that I am really proud of this island. We are all in preparation mode, everyone is working together, but no one is panicking - it's what we do here :)

Back
Top Bottom