What are the chances that TS Rina will blow out out diving later this week or worse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, crap. Yesterday I was annoyed that might trip might be delayed for a couple days....now I am actually worried for the island and everyone there....

Oh, I agree that they should let the dolphins go. I avoid agreeing with some posters in public so as to avoid backfires, but the dolphins should be freed in hopes they come back later. If they don't, there was a reason. Hehe, I've heard of other facilities doing so and that it's common for one of them to come back pregnant. It might be true. :eyebrow:

Christi, thanks for the posts. I'm scheduled to arrive on Sun 10/30, so it would seem likely that the storm will be gone by then and the plane can get in. I've never gone diving anywhere so soon after a hurricane, so I'm wondering what the dive conditions are likely to be--especially visibility. Is there likely to be a lot of sand and debris churned up that will affect visibility? If so, how long does it take for it to clear up? Thanks much.

like they are getting the pool ready for the dolphins at Hotel Coz.
Webcams

They did this in '05. 17 dolphins, to be exact. They looked a little gray after four days in the pool, and they had to move them by truck over to the mainland once the port re-opened, since their facility was destroyed. It was pretty cool watching them "round them up". However you feel about dolphins in captivity, the care and affection shown by the trainers was impressive...

Christi, thanks for the posts. I'm scheduled to arrive on Sun 10/30, so it would seem likely that the storm will be gone by then and the plane can get in. I've never gone diving anywhere so soon after a hurricane, so I'm wondering what the dive conditions are likely to be--especially visibility. Is there likely to be a lot of sand and debris churned up that will affect visibility? If so, how long does it take for it to clear up? Thanks much.
Welcome to SB. :cool2:

There is a fun gathering on the town square Sunday nights and it may be a big celebration this Sunday. The viz may be impaired somewhat but it'll still be great.

Oh so many things to speculate about.

Wow over 24 hours before the projected landfall and someone has already concerned themselves about the quality of diving and what that means to their upcoming trip never mind the well being of the locals, infrastructure or the blessed dolphins. :shakehead:

Wow over 24 hours before the projected landfall and someone has already concerned themselves about the quality of diving and what that means to their upcoming trip never mind the well being of the locals, infrastructure or the blessed dolphins. :shakehead:
He's new here. Give him a break. And has been stated previously here, this ain't their first rodeo. :cool2: Many there are Wilma survivors. This is only a Cat-3.

I can guarentee you the locals you are so concerned about well being will be enhanced by divers like this wanting to get in the water as soon as possible so that they can resume daily operations and begin to recoup from several days of no diving, no income......

He's new here. Give him a break. And has been stated previously here, this ain't their first rodeo. :cool2: Many there are Wilma survivors. This is only a Cat-3.
Only a Cat-3 Don? How many Cat-3 hurricanes have you lived through? I lived in Houston during Ike which made landfall as a Cat-2 and claimed 195 lives! The worst I endured was 14 days without power. Keep in mind we're talking about the 4th largest city in the States which has a much more robust and sophisticated infrastructure than Cozumel. And we fared very well during Ike being 60 miles inland... it'll be tough to get that far away from to coast in Cozumel. I'm not trying hype the situation, but it is serious and I think the last thing anybody should be concerning themselves about at this moment, is the visibility. I know as good as many of the forum regulars having dived just before and after Wilma the resiliency of the people and how they will recover quickly.

I can guarentee you the locals you are so concerned about well being will be enhanced by divers like this wanting to get in the water as soon as possible so that they can resume daily operations and begin to recoup from several days of no diving, no income......

Agree with you that the best thing will be to resume tourism afterwards which I fully intend to do so myself on 11/12, but can't we pause for a minute and try to focus on the locals and their well being? Not that Christi won't attempt to respond because that is how awesome she is but she's also in the midst on not only securing her assets but ensuring the well being and safety of her employees. And with her livelihood as stake, I doubt she's taken a moment to ponder the diving conditions and visibility afterwards. Nothing in nvnentor's post gives any indication of carrying on with their plans rather, when to reschedule. YMMV.

Come'on people, the damn thing hasn't even happened yet! There is no telling if the thing is going to putter out or if it's going to intensify and squat on the island for a couple days. We know nothing but you can probably rest assured that flights will resume as early as Friday as well as diving and compared to the diving I've done this last year, it's going to be fantastic, as always.

Sorry guys, I just think it's silly especially from someone that just joined today to make one post to find out when they should reschedule... at least that is the way I read it.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom