What are the chances that TS Rina will blow out out diving later this week or worse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe we will luck out and this storm will clean off some of the sand on the reefs left over from Wilma..... :D

Reactions: Jax
I heard from my friends at Living Underwater (Jeremy and his wife Paola) that they took time from their own hurricane preparations and have been to my house, moved some plants and outdoor furniture/BBQ into the house and secured anything else that might blow around (propane tanks, water heater etc.). I LOVE my Cozumel friends. :kiss2:

Our property mgr. emailed us this morning that our place is secured & hurricane screens in place. Have friends there now that are going to ride it out.

The forecast track from NWS has been moving all over the place. Yesterday afternoon had landfall around Chen Rio & passing just north of the airport. Last night had it passing east of the island & this morning, landfall around the Rasta Bar & passing just south of the Intl. Pier.
Just goes to show you it's still a guessing game until it actually makes the move to the north.

Wish everyone on island the best & hope they can celebrate no serious damage or losses at the Square on Sunday evening.

Mike

Wednesday morning update! Final preparations rushing to completion today. The government has imposed a 6pm curfew for tonight as they do for every Hurricane. This time tomorrow morning, it should be windy and rainy as Rina's front side approaches. I am hopeful that she will cruise right on through quickly.

Current weather is weird! Haha! We had pouring down rain a few minutes ago, now there are some patches of sun and blue sky (very small patches). This is the calm before the storm - but again, I am so proud of the island - most of us, particularly the veterans are just about ready and those that are first timers to this "H" stuff are getting help, advice and comfort from us that have done this before!

I am going to have a full house of Hurricane rookies - 6 adults (including me), 2 children (5 & 7), 4 dogs and 2 cats - so wish me luck with that! Haha!

While the pressure of the storm has dropped slightly from 971 yesterday to 967 today, the shear is playing havoc with it. At this point I do not see the storm hitting the island as a Cat 3.

Best wishes to you and your brood, Christi! And thanks for your help, advice and comfort last night! ;-) Big blue sky over my house right now!

I really hope that Rina blows by quickly and quietly. Good luck to everyone on Coz!

I think that the Xel Ha complex will be hit real hard.

It is directly connected to the ocean, so they can set many of their captives "free" but will they?

Also, why wish 'good luck' to our Coz friends? Isn't that jinxing? That's like wishing 'good luck' to Montreal on the eve of a major snow storm.
This isn't a once-in-a-lifetime event. These aren't Virginians that have built irresponsible housing directly on the beach.
Mexicans have dealt with hurricanes since, oh, like, forever?

Instead, Cheers! to the big tequila party, party louder than the winds that night. :party: :beer::beer::beer::rain::rain::rain::beer::beer::beer: :drunks:
(curfew at 6pm? Awesome! Early starting parties! Lots & lots of babies will be born in 9 months)

I'll be over there soon enough to help the local economy in my own personal way. :cool2:

As far as visibility, the sand I have tested settles very quickly. Pick up some underwater and drop it. See how fast it settles. Maybe there are other factors affecting visibility but the sand is probably not the biggest.

As far as no diving, it appears the port was closed Monday. So it appears that there was no diving Tuesday, today, probably Thursday and maybe not Friday. So about fours or five days. Is that correct Christi?

Port was open Monday, at least...

Looks like CAT 3 is gone now........

summary of 1000 am CDT...1500 UTC...information
-----------------------------------------------
location...17.9n 85.5w
about 200 mi...325 km SSE of Cozumel Mexico
about 190 mi...305 km ESE of Chetumal Mexico
maximum sustained winds...110 mph...175 km/h
present movement...WNW or 290 degrees at 5 mph...7 km/h
minimum central pressure...967 mb...28.56 inches

Discussion and 48-hour outlook
------------------------------
at 1000 am CDT...1500 UTC...the center of Hurricane Rina was located
near latitude 17.9 north...longitude 85.5 west. Rina is moving
toward the west-northwest near 5 mph...7 km/h. A gradual turn to
the northwest with a slight increase in forward speed is expected
later today...followed by a turn toward the north on Thursday. On
the forecast track...the center of Rina will be moving near or over
the East Coast of the Yucatan Peninsula on Thursday.

Maximum sustained winds are near 110 mph...175 km/h...with higher
gusts. Rina is a category two hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson
hurricane wind scale. A gradual weakening is expected to begin
today...and a faster weakening may occur as the center moves near
or over the Yucatan Peninsula. A NOAA hurricane hunter aircraft is
currently approaching the center of Rina.

Hurricane force winds extend outward up to 25 miles...35 km...from
the center...and tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 115
miles...185 km.

Estimated minimum central pressure is 967 mb...28.56 inches.

at201118.gif

Back
Top Bottom