What Age Did You Start Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did my first dive on SCUBA at 8 years old, using my step-brother's gear in the pool. Got fully certified through NASDS at age 10 in 1974. Dove for a while then got into rock-climbing... just got back into diving last year, and have been bitten by the "bug" hard... real hard :D

Started out snorkelling in the waters around Anglesey in North Wales when I was a six-year-old kid during my summer holidays, and then first took the plunge on scuba when I was 12, wearing my uncle's kit (he was a commercial diver, so with all that weight on, I sank like a rock!).

Suffice to say I survived, and was hooked from that day forward!

Mark

Open Water in Roatan while living on my sailboat, age 14.
Advanced Open Water in Roatan while visiting after graduating highschool, age 17.
Rescue in Austin, TX (haha big difference. fresh water?!), age 19.
Divemaster in Austin, TX, age 20.

I'm going back to Roatan in 17 days to live there for 2 months and DM at a resort. yaaaaaay!

Certified at age 15 in 1968. Went technical in 1986 (Cavern, Basic Cave, Full Cave), stopped technical in 1992 when there were kids. Separated from wife in 2004, and got back into technical (Trimix Deep at Altitude).

Certified at 13 (as a PADI junior diver) and doing solo dives with a dry suit and doubles to 130 feet on New Jersey wrecks before I was old enough to get a driver's license. Never pursued technical dive training, yet.

Certified in 2000 at age 43, Became an Instructor in the spring of 2003, Started my Technical training right after that.

Started diving in the Bahamas in 1967 at age 27......I am now 67 and have logged over 1000 dives in the ensuing 40 years......hope to dive at least 20 more years -:)

However, I am really proud to say that my lovely bride became certified on her 50th birthday in Kauai (Thanks Kaki!) and there was also a small tsunami when we underwater! We took our two kids, their spouses and our lovely two grandchildren to celebrate our thirty year wedding anniversary! It was a great trip! Headed back to Kona this June for more exciting action!

Dave

I was first certified in 1971 at age 16. :D

I started at age 14 (back before horse collars), and my son was certified at 13. You'll have a great time...
Good luck, and enjoy diving :14:

Back
Top Bottom