What Age Did You Start Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HybridDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, What age did you start diving at? If you went technical when did you start getting into tech diving? I will start, Age 16 with diving dynamics Kelowna B.C, I wanted to explorer. Have not gone technical yet, Going to in the next year
Chris

9, with my parents who were a little ninja. My brother was 7 and my dad took us to 110 in the Caymans. (not sayin that was smart....)

Later my dad was telling everybody he thought my brother was narked, no ****, Sherlock.

We are glad we survived our parents. My sister and I aee always saying "can you believe they did that to us?" I have never left my kids with them...ever. I don't think she has either.

both almity1 and i was in our 30's but almitychild started when she was 11. almityboy will be starting shortly and he will be 10

cheers

Other extreme - actively restarted diving at 54, Inst at 57, technical at 58.

I started in 1976 at 16 with a friends tank and reg. Before that I was always using a mask and snorkel in the lake my family had rental cottages on. I got my first cert in the fall of 1979 at 18 in my first year at collage, the cert course was $25, you supplied mask fins and snorkel all other gear was supplied. Open water divers at Fort Weatherall, RI in the snaow was fun.

As for tech, well we were all just wreck divers then, I had my first set of doubles by 87 or 88 and took the NITROX course when it was still looked at as a death gas by the industry in 92 or 93. I don't really remember when "tech" came along but it was sometime in the late 90's.

I still don't ever call myself a tech diver, I'm just a wreck diver.

Now, just this afternoon I put together a backpack with a 40 on it for my daughter. So, she will be starting at 9. My 4 year old son will need to wait till he is at least 5 before he can start tooling around the pool.

I expect a lot of fights this summer in the pool between them.

Last year when at the old age of 22.

I started diving at 13 and was certified in 1984 at 14. Dad was pretty POed when he caught me diving with a buddy. That was a pretty painful day on my backside with the whoopin' I took. We both did OW and AOW a few months later. I did the instructor thing at 34 and started tech stuff at 36- this year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom