What about us tall guys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello all, this is my 1st post. :happywave

This may not be the right section, but cut a new poster a break. :wink:

I am 6' 7" 220lbs (basketball player build) and have never bought a wetsuit before. I suspect there are not a lot of suits that will fit us taller guys, but I am hoping for a few suggestions as to what brands/retailers sell suits that will fit us?

TIA

Well you're off the height chart for BARE and they have about a broad a selection as anyone including tall and short cuts for a given weight.

I would say that a custom suit is your solution. We've had good luck with Atlan and LiquidFit. Cost will be comparable to a top shelf stock suit.

Pete

Approachshot:

I am 6' 7" 220lbs (basketball player build) and have never bought a wetsuit before. I suspect there are not a lot of suits that will fit us taller guys, but I am hoping for a few suggestions as to what brands/retailers sell suits that will fit us?

TIA

Custom is the only way to go. Hell, I'm only 6'2" and have a hard time finding wet/dry suits that fit!

Approachshot:

TIA

My husband is 6'5" 115 lbs and has been using a Deep Sea wetsuit from the LDS's rental line, which has worked out fine.

Check with your LDS to see if they have anything that will fit. They could help with the right size.

Cannot help with location as I am in Europe but what about doing a search and have one made to measure? I did this after starting my diving career 14 years ago, but I have the opposite to you as in being 5ft 3in (female) but even for me the suits were all too long, it did not cost me much more having it MtM.

Approachshot:

TIA

Check out O'Neill XLT or Camaro 3XL. They may not be great, but that's probably the best fit you can find off the rack. There are also some well-priced custom wetsuit manufacturers. scubal.com is or was one of them, though I have not tried their products.

http://www.oneill.com/company-sizechart.php

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/i/...it+-+Hydronomic+(For+Men)&isDefaultDept=False

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I will look into so of the suggestions, but I am not sure I want to lay out the money for a custom suit.

What about a two piece suit, or for that matter just a top to keep my upper body warmer?

Even a top alone would want to be a step-in so that it covers your groin and has closure below. Otherwise it will be awash with cold water.

The three most important things in a wetsuit are fit, fit and fit. there are no real shortcuts on this one.

If you are long in the legs and short in the torso there is an outside chance of getting a stock top to fit and with gauntlet gloves you could compensate for the short sleeves if your water in not really too cold.

What sort of water do you plan to be diving in? Adding some detail to your profile would be helpful.

Pete

You might check out Pinnacle Aquatics. I am 6'4" 235 lbs. The XXL Cruiser suit is a bit long on me and a snug fit with just enough room for a 3mm vest underneith, so perhaps their XXL would be a good fit for you. Their suits fit a bit smaller than the sizing chart inidicates, and their semi-dry suits are cut a bit smaller than the non-semi-dry. For example, their Extreme semi-dry is more of a proper fit for me in the length of the arms and legs than the Cruiser (non-semi-dry).

Another option is to look at the stretchy kinds of suits. Maybe a Pinnacle with their stretchy stuff would work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom